• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seals on outside of M37 front hub

70deuce

When I disassembled the front right hub for the first time between the spline cap and the hub body there was a paper gasket then a metal framed leather shaft seal. Should that leather shaft seal be in there? The TM's don't show it. I thought there was just a paper gasket between the spline cap and the hub like a deuce or 5 ton axle has.

Attachments

CGarbee

Yes, that seal needs to be there... :)
The newer ones are neoprene (sp?).

Which TM are you looking at? It's been a while since I looked at my collection, but I'm pretty sure that you can find it in the parts manual and/or the power train, body, and frame.

CGarbee

Cabell
He found that inner seal on the "front" hub??
Oops!!
I really should drink my morning coffee before I make this kind of post... :oops:
You're right, this is the seal on the REAR hubs. The front has the oil seal in the axle tube on the inside of the nuckle...

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no seal of this kind in the front hubs. There is a seal in the back of the hub, and a seal in the axle tube. The one you show goes on the outer end of the rear axle hubs only.
Regards Marti

Bill W

"I really should drink my morning coffee before I make this kind of post... :oops:"

Thats alright!...Its been so long, I had to go look it up in the book first:roll:

70deuce

Thanks everyone. The comments confirmed my suspicion that seal did not belong up front. Cleaned out the knuckle and reapacked with grease, stripped the backing plate of all grease and paint and primed it and repacked the bearings with just the paper seal installed between the hub and the cap. Will find out tomorrow if the diver's side has that rear seal in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks