• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Searching on GL for Surplus Bows and canvas?

hwcurtice

So, what do I look under, specifically? What catagory?

I mean I could spend all day looking under every single catagory for, and I think I did once, but to narrow the search down, where would I narrow the search to?

They really don't seem to place them under one, but a couple. Yes, it can be frustrating and confusing.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My recommendation is to learn the NSN numbers of any parts or vehicles you wish to search for, then (with being logged on to your GL account) create a search routine that you can easily trigger anytime you are needing something. You can create searches using words, NSN numbers or both. It is possible to build the searches and test them to see what uncovers the most items worth considering.

It's a little more work to set up, but once you have it you will find it to be really useful.

Rick

Last edited:

hwcurtice

Okay, I have a m101a2 trailer.

I know the 105 bows, if they are wood, and canvas won't fit.

Um, whats a 'NSN number'?

I do know there's a box of bows coming up for auction on the GL site really soon, but it's kinda far for the drive.

I am tempted to just buy a canvas tarp that will go over the rails and down the sides enough to protect from the weather enough so I don't have to plastic tarp everything, when I do use it for carrying items that need weather protection. But, I'd like something that looks good too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 34P for your trailer will have part numbers as well as NSNs. Armed with the correct NSN you can search GL and even the internet for said part. I don't want to be a broken record but there is just a wealth of information free for the taking in the Techincal Manuals. People sometimes think I know deuces pretty well. The fact of the matter is that I know the TMs pretty well and with that I can find answers. If you do find a cache of the metal bows for that trailer, I need several.

3dAngus

Instructions;
1. Go to GL website using your browser, like Internet Explorer, or whatever you use.
2. Login using login name, and password.
3. Click on the tab box entitled, "Search Agent"
4. Click on the larger tab entitled, "Create a new saved search agent"
5. Type in Search Name, " m101a2 trailer bows"
6. For email notification, click on the radio button "yes"
7. Skip to "NSN Code". Type in the NSN given to you previously, without the dashes.
8. Do the same thing in the same colume with the dashes.
9. Under "Location of Merchandise" click on "Any Location
10. Click on "save"
You have now set up a world wide search for any bows that come up and it will email you a notification if any come up, if you aren't always able to go to GL and check on it.

Last edited:

3dAngus

Also, you should be aware, the email notification periodically reverts back to "no" by default. You need to check it once a week to see if it goes to "No" and change it again.
You can run this manually at any time.
You can also search using nouns like "canvas" or "bows" using different search agents. I always set up several different ones for the same thing. The right NSN doesn't always tell you the whole story of what is available in your part search due to some accountability errors and NSN classification. Hope this helps!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One thing to think about is that often GL will lump a bunch of stuff together in a big lot and not list each item....not often but it happens. I would check the sites near you lot by lot....do the broad search on the other sites.

Just my dos centavos.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The 34P for your trailer will have part numbers as well as NSNs. Armed with the correct NSN you can search GL and even the internet for said part. I don't want to be a broken record but there is just a wealth of information free for the taking in the Techincal Manuals. People sometimes think I know deuces pretty well. The fact of the matter is that I know the TMs pretty well and with that I can find answers. If you do find a cache of the metal bows for that trailer, I need several.
What's the 34P?

I'm in the wrong mood to be in here tonight.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
What's a depot parts manual?

Like I said, maybe I should just shut up and get off here but I think my nu#$ got a little over torqued today.

hwcurtice

One thing to think about is that often GL will lump a bunch of stuff together in a big lot and not list each item....not often but it happens. I would check the sites near you lot by lot....do the broad search on the other sites.

Just my dos centavos.

GL Seems to lump a lot junk together. One of the lots has drivelines, rusty drums, a steering arm, oh and some bows from some vehicle, but not designated as to which vehicle they fit...

Hunt and peck. Just like typing!

And so, the hunt continues...

Someone mentioned finding three pages with 'Bows' as a search. Most were with vehicles already. Not quite what I was looking for, but thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you have found, GL is not going to sell you just one tarp and bow kit. Unless you want all the other stuff they throw in, I would just buy one from one of the surplus vendors. Also GMAcover.com sells the covers to the military. They aslo sell to the public.

They used to list prices but you will now have to call.

You can get green, tan or camo

hwcurtice

As you have found, GL is not going to sell you just one tarp and bow kit. Unless you want all the other stuff they throw in, I would just buy one from one of the surplus vendors. Also GMAcover.com sells the covers to the military. They aslo sell to the public.

They used to list prices but you will now have to call.

You can get green, tan or camo

Actually, They have one local, which is why I asked. Looks like they through some other stuff in there, but there's dumpsters on the way home so I'm not that worried about it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks