• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seat questions (moving seat back)

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a bigger guy, and I noticed a lot of people are swapping out seats. (Thanks to those that have confirmed what works and doesn't).

My issue is, in addition to being large, I'm also pretty tall... My leg always gets pushed under the steering wheel as I'm getting in/out, and my knees are bent pretty good when driving, making it uncomfortable.

Is there any particular seat that goes back farther?

Otherwise, I'm thinking about getting some S10 seats, and making the mounting holes a few inches back to allow the seat to go back further.

Or should I just re drill holes and use some grade 8 bolts to resecure the base?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grade 8 bolts won't be of much benefit in the sheet metal floor. I would opt for tilt steering, smaller wheel and maybe thin out the foam in the seats. The aftermarket 40/20/40 seats seem to have a pretty thin back but do fun from about $650 up.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grade 8 bolts won't be of much benefit in the sheet metal floor. I would opt for tilt steering, smaller wheel and maybe thin out the foam in the seats. The aftermarket 40/20/40 seats seem to have a pretty thin back but do fun from about $650 up.
I updated my signature with my vehicle, I forgot to do so earlier. I have an M1009.

This is my concern. I don't want to compromise safety, but being as I'm unemployed right now, I can afford to drill holes and replace bolts, and even spend $50 on some new seats. Spending 10x that, however, is not an option.

:D

I'll run to the junkyard and see what I can find out, and I'll post the outcome. Seems like S10 seats are pretty popular.

Ideas are still welcome and appreciated.

richingalveston

I think s10 seats are popular because they are a bolt in exact fit. I do not believe they will give you more room. look for some 80s model suburban bucket seats. they have a plate on the bottom which will allow you to redrill it and move the seat back on the base. I put these in my truck and they are very comfortable. They are wider at the back of the base and have arm rests on both sides.
I did not move mine back but have been considering it. I belive I can move them about 2 inches backward on the existing 1009 base.
I also have a tilt column from the same suburban and it helps alot. I may still put a smaller wheel on it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My bad! Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can mod the base. FWIW you can replace the hinge section on the seat with reclining hinges from a mid 80s Monte Carlo and get tilt seats which helps some folks.

bshupe

If you end up replacing your seats all together I can help you on the money end by giving you a slightly higher than insulting offer on your OEM bucket. (I would prefer to only have to buy one, the better of what you have).

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you end up replacing your seats all together I can help you on the money end by giving you a slightly higher than insulting offer on your OEM bucket. (I would prefer to only have to buy one, the better of what you have).
The drivers side is toast, but the passenger side is in good condition.

I will also be 'scrapping' the rear seat, as I don't need it, but it's in good condition as well.

You're about an hour and a half from me, FYI. :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If shopping for seats at the U Pick yard, don't overlook the Saturns. Hard to as there are so many of them. Lots of Saturns have pretty decent low cost seats.

richingalveston

the seat mounts in the pics are for a truck or suburban. those mounts wont work on the 1009. Using those mounts the seats will be sitting on the floor. The trucks and suburbans have a big hump in the floor. you may be able to remove the seat from those rails and put them on the 1009 seat bases. thats what I did with the suburban seats.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the seat mounts in the pics are for a truck or suburban. those mounts wont work on the 1009. Using those mounts the seats will be sitting on the floor. The trucks and suburbans have a big hump in the floor. you may be able to remove the seat from those rails and put them on the 1009 seat bases. thats what I did with the suburban seats.
OK. Figured as much. Thanks!

bshupe

The drivers side is toast, but the passenger side is in good condition.

I will also be 'scrapping' the rear seat, as I don't need it, but it's in good condition as well.

You're about an hour and a half from me, FYI. :D
As long as it is old red vinyl, Ill take it. lol I think the seats are all the same it is only the base and the seatbelt mount that are different. My 1031 has buckets like a 1010 and I have been looking for a while for a third bucket to put in the middle.

Please PM me when you have made a decision and we can come to an agreement and figure out how I can come and get it.

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks