• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Second set of batteries

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to hook up one or two seperate sets
( 2x12v) batteries to the slave output on my M54A2 and charge them while I am driving.
One set will be in a large shelter in the bed,
and the other set will be in a small shelter on a trailer.
I am thinking that the regulator will see it as one 24v load and charge it.
Anyone see a problem with this?
Thanks,
Bruce

Westech

CPL
Nope, as long as your charging 24V it will be fine. Here is the Hitch. If you are charging two batteries, both batteries need to be discharged to the same level or you will fry one (you need to keep then in series during use and charging).

emr

I really do not believe they need to be discharged at all, call the batt tecks at batterystuff.com they will take the time to go into detail what I am going to say, all you need to do with any baterrys U are putting in series is charge them up fully and independently and wait 12 hours and do a hydrometer test , u need to waut 12 hours to ensure U are not testing just a surface charge, a wait in this time frame will be enough to do that, if theyare the same put em in, if they are not U have the option of useing a desulphater charger to try to bring the low one to life, and do the test again, even when using a desuphator u need to have a full charged batt before they will do there job, the only true way to test a batt is this way, U do not ever need to discharge a battery, that is not good for them... after charging them seperatly and they are the same per test hook em up and then U can charge em with a 24 volt charger maintainer , but U should once a year switch em front one to back and charge em up individual again If U want to get the max life out of em, the back batt is always a lazy batt after years of being charged in series, because the first batt takes the charge first and the secound bett may always be a little low, most batt chargers only charge to 75 to 80 percent, U need a good charger desuphater maintainer that says clearly what it will do, If U only charge em in series the back batt will never fully charge period. Randy

Westech

CPL
EMR did you even read my post? I said if you are going to charge then in series you need to use then in series. IE not take one battery and run a radio or whatever and use the other one in a different 12V usage. If you try and charge two differently discharged 12V batteries and charge them in series as 24V you could have problems. I never said to discharge a battery.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unclemikey, please enlighten us how you did that. Maybe we all can learn from your experience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks