• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

seized motor and some Q's

MilitaryRestoration

either I am turning the wrong bolt on front of engine to manually turn motor over or wrong direction please let me know which way is correct but regardless either way i turn it i get nothing out of the motor turning freely. So I'm assuming that my motor is seized beings that the previous owner let it sit with a blown head gasket for over a year. :-/ What shall I do now or whats the best next move?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: seized motor and some Q

Is it a gas engine? Or a diesel? pull the plugs and inspect. If you have a cylinder full of water, you won't get it to turn. Also, if the coolent was allowed to sit in the cylinder for a year, you should pull the heads and hone the cylinder. If there is nothing in the cylinders after you remove the plugs, (or injectors on a diesel) try pouring a good amount of a light machining oil or my favorite, Marvel Mistery Oil in the cylinder and let it sit a good long while (week or more, depends on how long you can wait, or how long it takes I like to try it every other day or so). Then try to get it to move. Once you get it to start moving, siphon the oil out or just let it flow out the open injector/plug hole if you don't mind the mess.

When baring an engine, most people do try to turn it in the direction it normally turns, but it usually won't damage the engine to bar it the other way a little. Rocking it back and forth will help break it free. I've seen some pretty old engines that have been siezed for years broken loose this way and running within an hour.

The pulley at the bottem front of the engine, the one attached to the crankshaft, is the correct bolt/place to turn it over.

Good luck!

acetomatoco

All CUCV are automatic tranny... put batts in and bump the starter to see if engine is free.. if head gasket is bad and has been leaking antifreeze in to cylinders you should remove glow plugs or injectors before bumping to prevent damage by hydro static lock...you should be able to turn engine with a big screwdriver (24") wedged in a couple of pulley bolts...rotating clockwise of crank is operating direction by either direction will tell you if engine is stuck... or take out the starter and use a bar on the flywheel teeth... ACE

MilitaryRestoration

Its a diesel and when I use the starter all it does is click. But i have the volts...I'm sure starter is clicking because can't do anything with it being seized. I'll try some more thanks guys. Any more info is always wanted :)

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I don't know that much about diesels but I have gotten engines on M37's and M715's loose by pulling the heads after the oil bath and used a rubber mallet and a block of wood to tap on the pistons to help break them free, lightly tapping over a few days may work if you only have some surface rust holding everything up. I only did this after I pulled my first M37 power pack, I could have saved me a couple of days of work by trying the tapping route first.
James G.

Somemedic

If your in need of a parts CUCV momma said mine needs to move. The body is rusty but the motor runs. You would need to trailer it since the tires are flat and the brakes need work.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

I was going to suggest what Rumplecat did. If you have to replace the headgasket anyways then be easy on the engine .

MilitaryRestoration

If your in need of a parts CUCV momma said mine needs to move. The body is rusty but the motor runs. You would need to trailer it since the tires are flat and the brakes need work.
Pm sent

Thank You 'rumplecat'. If i can't just find another motor I will try that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks