• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Separately Excited

turbo15479

Can someone tell me briefly what is meant by separately excited and exciter included? I am sure it means how the alternator knows when to make power but that is about all I can guess. Is this a reliable method and easy to use or just a big problem? Thank you for any answers. Bruce

Isaac-1

Separately excited means that the generator exciter is a separate component from the generator alternator, in general this is going to mean the generator is VERY BIG or VERY OLD or both. Often this separate exciter would be mounted next to or at the end of the main generator and powered by a gear driven shaft (perhaps sometimes belt). If you need more information let me know, I did not want to go into too much excess here.

Last edited:

turbo15479

Thank you for the information. The generators are of course the military type and are the 15 kw or 30 kw units, Mep-004A or 005A. They are in the same age range as most I see ( 1982-1986) but are listed as separately excited. But I am guessing from what you said these may be more trouble than they are worth with an extra driven part. Thanks for the clarification. Bruce

Jimc

all the mep 00"X"a units that i am aware of have the exciter inside of the generator. the 004 and 005 are good units. i dont think how its listed is correct but i dont have one so im not 100% sure.

Isaac-1

I am the same as Jim, I don't think any of the MEP series generators have separate exciters, at least not the ones that are less than 100KW. For the most part separate exciters are things you don't find on generators less than a couple hundred KW unless they are more than 60-70 years old.

Ike

p.s. a quick check of the MEP-005a TM shows that they are a Static exciter design, which means the exciter is a self contained solid state electronic assembly, not a rotary driven mechanical exciter. Typically these types of Static exciters are not referred to as Separate exciters, but they are a separate component, much like the voltage regulator assembly.

Last edited:

turbo15479

That makes sense as sometimes things are not as explained. I took a good look at the pictures and they look just as the ones I have seen first hand so I think the description is not accurate. Thank you for the replies. Bruce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks