• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seriously messed up turn signals

The Baron

I just bought my first M1009 today and realized theres a problem with the turn signal. It seems like the right turn signal works just fine, however when I turn on the left on the hazard lights come on. Anyone have any clue what that could be? And how do I even turn on the hazards?

Hazards turn on with the little switch under the steering wheel on the right side. Push it in to turn them on, pull it out to disengage.

Turn signal flashing problems are so incredibly common in all CUCVs. I currently have to track down an intermittent problem in mine.

First thing I'd do in your situation is replace the flasher module in the fuse box and check the fuses while you're under there... just because it's a good idea. I replaced all my fuses when I got my truck whether they were good or not (some looked like they were originals from 1985).

Second, check the grounds. My bet is your problem is caused by a bad ground. Look in the TM's for a wiring diagram.

You also probably want to clean the battery terminals and check those connections while you're at it.

Last edited:
Replace your turn signal switch assembly under the steering wheel. They get worn out, start coming apart and all kinds of weird things happen with the lights. The hazard flasher switch is part of that assembly and if the actuator for the hazards is missing, that would be your problem. The assembly comes out fairly easily once you get the steering wheel out, which can be a royal pain in the keister. You have 2 options. After removing the horn button, remove the nut on the column that holds the wheel and either go to an auto parts store and rent a steering wheel puller, (the easy way) or if you're in a pinch, back the nut about 1/4 inch from the face of the wheel and you can grab the wheel at 9 and 3 O'clock, place your feet under the brake pedal, pull up on the wheel hard enough to lift your butt off the seat and alternate your pulling from right to left and try to wiggle it loose. If that doesn't get it, take a hard wood block or large brass drift, and have a friend put the block or drift against the steering column and smack it with a BFH a few times while you pull hard on the wheel.
NEVER, I repeat, NEVER POUND ON THE STEERING COLUMN DIRECTLY as this will mushroom the end of the shaft and you'll never get the nut back on and in the worst case, never get the steering wheel all the way off.
Once you get the wheel off, remove the screws that hold on the turn signal handle and the screws holding the switch assembly inside the column. Then unplug the wiring harness to the switch under the dash and slide the wiring out. Now take all the tools you just used and head to the wrecking yard and find a similar year Chevy for your replacement. If you're lucky, you might find one in the right year range that someone already got the steering wheel and half your job is already done. Good luck!
Unless of course you've got more money than tools, and you can take it to a mechanic and let him have all the fun. :jumpin:

sierrajcharlie

Are you sure it's the hazards coming on or are the lights all just blinking with the turn signal? Mine did that when I got it. After allot of thinking and testing, I decided the drivers side front lamp holder was shorting out internally. I changed it out and it fixed the issue. 2cents

Barrman

Front blinker bulb holders shorting out as mentioned above, front bulb holders with broken off ground tabs and broken front holder ground wires are all common problems with this model truck.

The -20 tells you things to check in the great troubleshooting section. Then it tells you to "trace circuit." Make cleaning each and every connection you see part of that trace and you just might find your problem without spending any money.

The Baron

Turned out to be a simple fix. The signal bulb was also for the brake as well. the brake portion of the bulb was burnt out and made the signaling go crazy. Replaced the bulb and the signal started working the way they should. Go figure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks