• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

service brake operation

doc76016

Please excuse me if this is a completely naive question. I have only become reacquainted with the M35's after nearly 40 years and if I ever knew this I have long ago forgotten it. I have also searched the forums and read through the TM's without success. My question is this...

How is the service line supposed to operate? I _think_ it is supposed to send a burst of air to the trailer when the brake pedal is depressed. Is that correct?

If so, then could I remove the gladhand "cap" and open the stopcock and then depress the brake pedal to see if air is delivered at that point and then stops when the brake pedal is released to assure proper operation?

Also, if the M35 brakes started dragging after, say 60 miles, while not pulling a trailer and I then removed the "cap" and opened the stopcock and got a great expulsion of air, could I then assume that the air/hydraulic valve is faulty?

TIA,
mdh

ida34

Your assumptions are correct. The service air valve does provide air to the trailer when the brake pedal is pressed. If you had a build up that would not release then you should rebuild the airpack assembly.

wsucougarx

Ok another question, I have a glad hand air hose to air up the tires. I have not used it yet as I didnt know which side to plug the hose into. Which one is it? The SERVICE or EMERGENCY one on the back of the truck?

ida34

On trailers with both connections the emergency side fills an air tank on the trailer. There is a relay valve on the trailer that allows the emergency supply from the truck to fill the tank. If the relay valve does not have pressure from the emergency line then it applies the brakes using the air in the trailer air tank. If is a break away type of device and it also will provide braking for the trailer if the truck looses air. This is why you use the emergency side for the air chuck. It is basically a direct line to the air tanks.

doc76016

Re: RE: service brake operation

ida34 said:
Your assumptions are correct. The service air valve does provide air to the trailer when the brake pedal is pressed. If you had a build up that would not release then you should rebuild the airpack assembly.

Thanks for the kind reply. I believe that is the problem with my new M35a2. I'll report back when I finally get it repaired.

mdh

ida34

RE: Re: RE: service brake operation

There is a port that you can shoot some air tool oil in to keep things free. It is at the back and is a square head plug. I tool for opening water spigots works great. I think it is 1/4 inch. Do a search. Someone has posted pics of what to look for with instructions. It may help but I would suspect you are to far along for quick solutions but it may be worth a try.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks