• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF97 Question - Farm Truck Plates For Agricultural Exempt Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to be 100% compliant with all laws and contractual agreements.

I cannot find this specific question asked anywhere else.....

In Texas we have "Farm Truck" plates.

Will the SF97 mean that I have to get, or may get, Farm Truck plates for my HMMWV?

I am not looking for any work-arounds. I am looking to be 100% compliant.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're buying one of the GovPlanet HMMWVs you have to sign a document agreeing that it is for "off road use only" so to be "compliant" means you don't get any plates as it can't be driven on the road.

Off-road use is defined as granting reasonable allowances however in state law.

Ever get behind a combine harvester moving from one field to another? I drove combines 30 years ago and can tell you they don't have turn signals or bumpers.

I am going to mount a cattle feeder (like a large hopper for feed with a chute) to the back of my hummer. Moving from one pasture to another via public roadway is common practice and therefore allowable by law.....with farm plates.

So what is the legal federal definition of "off-road use only"? Not opinion, LEGAL DEFINITION. Because a combine harvester is 100% legally required to be off-road and Ive moved one down a farm-to-market a few times.

Again, trying to find out what the law really says and how phrases are legally defined. I understand there are a million people out there trying to figure out how to street legal these things. I just want to be able to drive from pasture A to pasture B and be compliant. Farm Plates get you there with every single piece of equipment I have ever driven.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your signing a agreement with the Federal Government not to drive the HMMWV's on public roads when you buy it , it really doesn't matter what state law allows.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You will get 15 different answers here, I would just contact your local DMV to get the true and correct answer.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And a combine has plates? Or just a slow moving vehicle sign? Plates grant highway use (with restrictions). The INTENT of the HMMWV release is that these vehicles not be driven on the highway - for any reason. And if you're just wanting something to spread feed around I'd think there would be a lot of other options that don't have restrictions.

But rather than ask your question here, a forum for military vehicles, why not contact DOT and ask them? You'd at least have a basis for arguement with a LEO if you have documentation from DOT saying you're okay. Opinions on this forum won't do you squat sitting in front of flashing lights.

And a combine has plates? Or just a slow moving vehicle sign? Plates grant highway use (with restrictions). The INTENT of the HMMWV release is that these vehicles not be driven on the highway - for any reason. And if you're just wanting something to spread feed around I'd think there would be a lot of other options that don't have restrictions.

But rather than ask your question here, a forum for military vehicles, why not contact DOT and ask them? You'd at least have a basis for arguement with a LEO if you have documentation from DOT saying you're okay. Opinions on this forum won't do you squat sitting in front of flashing lights.
Well I guess that's a good point. I don't remember plates on any combines, but Ive got Farm Plates on everything I drive out here.

I liked the idea of the HMMWV because with a load as heavy as a full hopper of feed, combined with the terrain that I have to go over in a couple spots, the repeated twisting of the frame has caused breakage in other vehicles over a relatively short period of time. It seems that the HMMWV is specifically designed to carry a huge load on the back and traverse this sort of terrain so that's why I dropped the coin on one. I'm tired of welding pig iron plates onto broken frame rails then having to sell the truck for nearly scrap value when I tell them the frame was broken and welded back.

So I'm praying that I find some sort of federal definition of what they allow here. Yes, I don't want to be standing there with a State Trooper, or worse, trying to tell them "but I read it on the internet". I'd like to make Uncle Sugar happy first and foremost, then worry about getting the ladies in the local DPS office to understand what an HMMWV is.....

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm closing this thread as we all know where this is going.

The OP just needs to contact his local DMV for answers on what is legal in his area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks