• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shear pins for the winch

dc3coyote

kinda, but a grade 3 bolt shears first. I have used it for years with my tractor. an older Massey Ferguson
and no I dont use it much at all

dc3coyote

I dont have the specs on this computer but if I was stranded I would not think twice
to use one, the man I talked to at the Tractor shop said they were the same

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your doing winch work, you need extra shear pins. The forward/reversing of the winch, under normal loads, will cause the pin to fatigue & shear. BUT, if your shearing good fresh pins, your in an overload situation. The winch should do all the work you need done, at not much more then an idle on the engine. If you speed the engine, it should only be to increase the line speed. If you need more power, put two parts in your line with a snatch block - something is surely going to move then.

Lee in Alaska

bottleworks

Saturn may still have some...They were $3.50 each.

The key is to determine what alloy they are. I am thinking 2011-T3 would do fine... Any thoughts?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bottleworks said:
Saturn may still have some...They were $3.50 each.

The key is to determine what alloy they are. I am thinking 2011-T3 would do fine... Any thoughts?
I did post the alloy some time ago, but "search" doesn't help me here. I had found the alloy except for the temper (T3, T4 etc)....

Found this after a lot of searching:
http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=16075&highlight=

...... the alloy for the 260 series 5-ton winch (5315-00-209-7979), it is the 2017, probably -T4 temper, which has a shear strength of 38,000 psi.
It's a start...

wiggall

According to TM 9-2320-361-10 the Shearpin for the 5 ton front mounted winch is ALUMINUM. FTG2 Wiggles USS EDSON DD 946 1968-1973

Blood_of_Tyrants

wiggall said:
According to TM 9-2320-361-10 the Shearpin for the 5 ton front mounted winch is ALUMINUM. FTG2 Wiggles USS EDSON DD 946 1968-1973
Yes, we know that. It is the type of aluminum that we need. Different alloys have different strengths.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks