• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shelter tie downs

AK_M1028

My M1028 is missing the rear shelter tie downs. Rather than trying to hunt some down, I was thinking of fabbing my own. Does anyone have pictures of them or dimensions so that I can make my own? Thanks in advance.

ONTOS66

TM 9-2320-289-20 pages 10-52-54 shows the components of the M1028 shelter tie-downs with illustrations.

If you want photos and dimensions let me know and I'll see about measuring the big tie down piece in the rear and taking some photos.

AK_M1028

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the tie downs are pretty heavy duty. The diagrams in the TM are pretty good. The only thing I can't tell is details about the large vertical piece. Is built out of tube or angle steel?

ONTOS66

Here are some photos of the rear tied downs. Hopefully they will give you a better idea of what is involved. Check with some of the dealers and see if they have any take offs. The large vertical piece is heavy steel and bolts to the bed as shown in the TM.

Attachments

AK_M1028

ONTOS66, thanks for the great pictures.

My truck has the holes in the bed for the base, but doesn't look like it had the angled brace to the top of the bed. Is this brace something that was added later?

ONTOS66

I don't know if they changed the design of the "brace" that ran from the horizontal piece to the top of the bed rail, or if the illustration on page 10-52 just looks different. I think the angle of the drawing is different and gives a slightly skewed perspective from the actual photographs. You'll see that there is a brace (part #3) but it looks short - which wouldn't fit from the inside end of the horizontal piece to the top of the bed rail. Without that brace the horizontal part would be able to swivel on the bolt that secures it to the vertical part secured to the truck bed.

de knee bones connected to de thigh bone ....

Any who, that's the way it is set up on mine.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 different styles of rear shelter tie-downs. The first design used shorter sections of C-channel that did not stick out past the sides of the bed at all. They also have a heavier vertical brace made from 2 layers of steel. The later style was shown by ONTOS66. I'm not sure if the first design had the angle brace to the bed rail or not. What year is your truck? The first design was used in 1984 and early 1985 trucks, although I do not know the exact cutoff date.

Attachments

AK_M1028

My M1028 is a 1985 model, so it must have had the earlier style tie-downs. I like the fact that they don't stick out beyond the bed, less chance of hanging up on something. I will probably never use it to tie down an actual shelter. I just liked the idea of having it there as a bed stiffener and a tiedown point for other loads.

If you had the later style tie-down that stuck out beyond the bed in the rear, does the front tie-down stick out beyond the bed also?

ONTOS66

The photos that I provided are of the tie downs on my 1985 M1028 - the military is nothing if not consistent in its inconsistency. This may indicate that there was a mod or upgrade at some point. I'm guessing the extension of the horizontal piece was for a better tie down angle? Perhaps they were getting too much (or not enough) tension with the shorter setup? A copy of the MWO would be nice - but I haven't found one yet. I'll look at the front setup and post photos later.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was a mid-production change in 1985. One truck could have been early 1985 and the other later in 1985 after the change was made. I am not sure why they re-engineered them, but I guess there was a reason (good or not). I will try to find some documentation, but the front tie-down did not change. It never stuck out past the bedside.