• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

She's ALIVE ! LDS-465 run after rebuild/refresh

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, thanks to all of you who have helped me with wisdom and insight during what was (umm..still is) my biggest, most involved Deuce project so far. Rustystud, gimpy, gringeltaube and many others provided crucial tips when I needed help.

I put a couple of clips into my "starter" thread, but I since fixed my fuel supply issue (I won't tell you that I mixed up fuel supply and fuel return, because that would make me look silly!) I thought I put a nice stand-alone start and run thread up as well.

The engine starts easily, each time, every time. I have run it only four or five times, briefly, just to circulate the cascade/water mix in the water passages and to detect major leaks (none so far) or other issues (non so far). I do not want to run her longer to avoid glazing of the liners; she needs to get into the truck and be properly loaded for break-in. I can't wait to see how the LDS/Waterloo 5th gear combo performs in the Deuce!

https://youtu.be/ZtCP8qoZcMI

In summary, the engine received:

- tear-down with only crank and cam remaining in the engine
- cam bearings were fine - did not replace
- new main bearings
- new rod bearings
- new rod bolts (higher strength)
- new late-model cylinder heads, valves and springs
- spin-on oil filters and spin on fuel filter
- exhaust manifold drilled and tapped for pyrometer
- new out-of-box "D" turbo
- small niceties, such as brass nuts for all exhaust parts and turbo, all new water, fuel and oil hoses etc.

Transmission:
- Waterloo 5-th gear OD upgrade

The engine is a LDS-465-1A out of a 5-ton and I reconfigured it for 2.5 ton use. Now I need to find someone who can lift engine and tranny into the truck for me!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking- and sounding very good so far! [thumbzup]
Been there, done it and I know... that you will be a very happy Deuce-driver, with that combo!:driver:

pitpawten

Awesome and congrats. If I ever get enough spare time (maybe when in dead?) I'm going to do the same with the LDS that came as s spare with my deuce.

You running it air cooled for the short test runs or were you running full coolant through the system?

dmetalmiki

We sure would like that overdrive modification. Is there. in fact, a better spaced ratio gearbox for the deuce, and the m54 5 ton trucks, anyone?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We sure would like that overdrive modification. Is there. in fact, a better spaced ratio gearbox for the deuce, and the m54 5 ton trucks, anyone?
I remember talk of a civilian Spicer box from that era that would have a better overdrive, but what I recall is that they are made from unobtainium. That would be the Spicer 3053"B" transmission. It has a longer first gear 4.5:1 and a longer overdrive at .75 :1 . There is some info here: http://garbee.net/~cabell/transmission.htm
Realistically, for a Deuce, Tom's OD kit is the only ready option at this point.

The coolest 5ton conversion I have seen was a M813 tractor with an Eaton-Fuller 13 speed in it (was for sale here on SS).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks