• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shift Firmness

motormayhem

Ok so my tranny has always had nice hard shifts since I re-cased it a while back. At first it was slamming into the next gear, but new vac lines fixed that. Then it would always give a nice little bump as it hit the next gear. However now the 2-3 shift is so smooth you cant feel it shift, you just hear it. The 1-2 is firmer, but not like before. What can I do to adjust this? Also I live in az and have only owned it during the winter and now it is 90-105 everyday and this is when the shifts got really smooth is that a concern or not? It is supposed to only have 5000 on it when I bough it and I have put almost 3,000 on it since it was re-cased.

Westech

CPL
the stock set up you can not really feel the shifts... its set to be really soft. When the fluid is cold it will hit harder then when the fluid is hot. The only way to adjust it is by installing a shift kit.

motormayhem

Ok so don't worry about not feeling the 2-3 shift at all. I meant I don't think it slipps at all in 3rd or anything just no feeling to the shift, just the sound of the engine dropping rpms. Do you think it shifts harder in the winter 60-70 degreese out because the coolant is cooler meaning cooler tranny fluid?

Westech

CPL
well the coolant still heats up butthe case of the trans stays cooler so yes cooler fluid in thewinter but not due to coolant temp. My duramax's trans will not go over 120* in the winter but in the summer 190* is the norm and will hit 200* when towing or making black smoke.
I installed a stage 2 B&M shift kit in my th400 and she shifts hard. A firm shift is a good thing to have. But I would not get your pants in a twist over a stock trnas... they still work just fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks