• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shift indicator question

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I've already checked the -20 on this but does not have a clear picture nor specific instructions.

The gear indicator has a clip that connects to the steering column and then a thin cable then spring that goes to the actual indicator for drive, reverse, 1, 2 etc....

Where and how does it actually connect to on the steering column?

I tried just clipping it onto the plastic piece but that didn't work

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I remembered that there was a short phillips-head screw also.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Well that might explain it. There ain't no screw nor does there appear to be a hole where one was. My clip looks like it slides onto the edge of the column but when I do that and go to shift, it pops right off. Maybe I'll pry apart the clip to make it flat and put a screw through it.

Thanks

CCATLETT1984

mine also has no screw. you may need to play with the exact positioning depending on the adjustments in the linkage.

mine currently doesnt work since the little plastic peg that the wire rides on busted off when i was changing out my steering column. I'm not messing with it till we get warm weather. (I dont want cracked plastic)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, that pic beats my memory!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Tried attaching it in the same manner as shown.

My shift indicator must have the same plastic peg broken off cause I don't see one.

Guess it is off to the parts store.

Thanks

dilvoy

If the stamped metal raceway that the indicator slides in is bent, the indicator can pop out or if the indicator has one of it's tabs broken off it can also pop out. I have fixed the broken hook in the dash cluster housing by heating up a paper clip with a torch and pushing it through a near by place on the cluster housing. Then the paper clip can be bent to a workable shape and trimmed. It shure beats changing out the cluster housing.

motormayhem

Or 1 click=reverse, 2 clicks=neutral, .....

The indicator takes all the excitement out of gear changes :) I think I may give the paper clip thing a try as there are more pressing matters on my truck.

jfnemt1ff1

If you can move the indicator by pulling on the cable it should be fine. The easy way is to place the shifter in neutral and clip on the clip pulling so that :arrow:Neutral shows on the dash. You might have to bend the clip to hold on better. And if that doesn't work I think the only place to get them is the dealer. They used the same part for years. Not hard to change you will have to remove the screws that hold the ft of the gage cover.
John

niferous

Ok I'm having a little problem with this one. I got a new indicator from LMC truck. I installed it and everything looked good. I went to try it for the VERY FIRST TIME and the dang clip LMC truck used BROKE! Well I had the old one and the cable was good so I re-used that one. Now you would think that since the indicator worked when I first bought the truck and the cable was still good I would be fine. Well I clipped it to the steering wheel and it shifts but the indicator gets to drive and then it the orange needle gets all in a bind and doesn't want to move back when I shift back to park. Does anyone have any ideas why this is? Again this is a brand new assembly. If pictures are needed let me know.

rlwm211

Niferous, check and make sure the little cable (I cannot remember if it is some sort of synthetic or wire) that connects the indicator to the shroud on the lower column (the part that turns with the shifter) is on the pulley that allows the cable to turn and connect to the indicator itself. It may have slipped into the space between the pulley/guide and the plastic it is mounted in.

rlwm211

The indactor is a self contained mechanism mounted directly to the dash behind the Bezel. I have not had mine apart in a long time so I may be a little foggy here, but the basic idea is that the indicator is spring loaded inside the indicator assembly itself. The rotation of the column shift pulls the "cable" and pulls the indicator accross the display. The motion has to be translated smoothly and without binding from vertical to horizontal by a sheave, guide or pulley.
You installed the new indicator so you know about where this thing is. Look at the end where the cable comes out and make sure it is on the guide. You may have to remove the indicator to determine if it is or not. It is entirely possible that the indicator is SNAFU.

Hope this helps

RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks