• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shooting 383 Gilliespie paint...

red devils dude

2:1(paint-reducer) and use a SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER not paint thinner IE mineral spirits
from army jeep parts
tip
AJP recommends the reduction of Gillespie Coatings with a
SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER. This is accomplished at a ratio of 2:1,
paint to reducer. Most brands are fine, such as NAPA or PPG, etc; just as
long as its a SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was advised by a couple of folks who shoot outside in a humid environment to cut mine 3 to 1 with mineral spirits. Supposedly it keeps the wet line wet for the next path of the gun. This is exactly how I've been shooting this stuff and everything has come out really nice.

Attachments

CGarbee

I've been shooting Gillespie for years using Xylene or Naphtha (depending on how hot it is) at rates of 4:1 or 5:1, rate of thinning and thinner depend on temperature, air pressure, etc. Most often, I use 4:1 and about 40psi for my "cheap" gun (syphon).

My page on painting is located at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/paint.htm

I've gone ten years without repainting my driver M37 and it looks really good parking next to the M38 that was painted just last year... (both parked outside).

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, when I shot my M1009 last year I used Xylene from NAPA I believe and thinned it 4:1. It went on smooth with no overlap marks. It was pretty cool when I shot it too. Also used a "cheap" pressure gun.

rmgill

What temperature? It's around 60° here during the day in the sun. I can pre-heat the sections to be painted if I need to.

rdixiemiller

Xylol or naptha are both fairly slow solvents. They give good wetting, and allow the paint to flow out nicely. Down side is you are more likely to run the paint in those conditions. 60 degree weather is a little colder than I like to paint in. If you just have to, use a faster solvent, unleaded gasoline actually works quite well. Put on several light coats and watch how it flows. If you try to hammer on a full build coat all at once, you will likely have some drips and sags on vertical surfaces.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks