• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shopping for M101/M1101/M1102 trailers at GL

alowdime

Hey guys, Im Brendan and I just became addicted to this military surplus auction stuff.

Im looking for some input on when and what to bid on. Ive been looking at some of these trailers that go up for auction and I think Id like to have a M1101/M1102. It looks like they sell for $500-$1200 depending on options but the ones without canopies seem to just sell at minimum bid most times, Im fine without the canopy. That being said, I have my eye on 2 M1102s that are 5 hours away in Louisiana and Im pretty confident that would be good to go and tow back 5 hours home. However there is a M101 for less than half the cost and only 3 hours away in Texas. Im thinking of bidding on it but I do have concerns about old bearings/seized brakes/bad tires for the 3 hour tow home. Im prepared to take extra magnetic lights and general tools no matter whcih trailer to take care of issues that may arise but concerning the much older M101, Id rather not be changing bearings in a dirt parking lot on base or especially not on the highway.

Since you guys have watched many many auctions, should I just wait until the closest base in Texas has the trailer Id rather have, the M1101/M1102s? Do they pop up for sale all the time? Looks like the GL site has a surplus auction every week. I did search through alot of other items for sale in Texas and in the background I saw many M1102s but none of those are up for auction right now.

Any input is appreciated.

86m1028

It's a crap shoot if you don't inspect them.
I've got a few m101's & m1102's on the east side of Dallas if your interested, pm me

Landbarger

A 2013 F-150 shouldn't break a sweat pulling either one of those trailers. You will be pulling them nose down, however. I would say that the 2 hour difference isn't a big deal. You're going to spend more time than that waiting for a gate pass, finding your way to the DRMO lot, and dealing with the GL/GP personnel anyway. Get the trailer you like best and strike while the iron is hot...or while the iron is within your budget. Sometimes finding one with the location and selling price you want will take a couple of passes. So bid early and bid often! (I've cheaped out on too many nearby M1102s and am left still wanting one.)

Also, if it's an M101/M101A1 you're going to be stuck with the 5-lug M37 pattern wheel. The M101A2/A3 and the M1101/02 both use the more common 8-lug pattern, which could provide you more options depending on what you want to do with it.

Finally, be aware that ITEMS PICTURED ON GL/GP MAY BE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR...

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My preference would be for an M1101/M1102 over an M101.

I've towed them behind my 1ton pickup and consider them ideal for this use. (Lifted, with custom bumper to tow the level).

Prices on them are crazy high right now. I used to buy them for about $550 and had trouble selling them at $1000 with title.... Right now, they're bringing almost $2k regularly at auction. (And I sold all mine and didn't keep one for me and can't afford one at these prices...)

It's probably worthwhile to talk to Ray, since he's local and you can look them over in person and probably still pay less than current auction prices...

truck1

I personally like the design of the m101a2 or m101a3 over the m1101/2. The m101a2/3 series has 8 lug wheels which happen to fit my 3/4 ton m1028 in case you need a spare. They also fit my 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4. Also the bows and sides are easier to source than the m1101/2. You can fit a sheet of plywood in the m101a3 between the wheel wells . Can't do that in the m101a2. Covers are easy to find lately also right here on SS. Both series are awesome , but the m101a2/3 series are steel bodied and more versatile IMHO.

drivebymashing

Love my m1101 pulls great behind a ford ranger or my m35a2. I hauled around 3k on the m1101 last week. The 16 foot lumber was bit much. But handled just find. I paid 525 plus fees and all for no top and a crappy paint job. I had to repaint it.
The m1101 isnt bad to hook up and move around empty. The m105 is a ball buster.....

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the M101A2/A3 to tow behind a PU since they are the same width as the PU and have an 8 foot long bed. You can haul 4' wide plywood above the wheel wells in a M101A1 or A2 trailer.

The M1101/2 trailers are 87" wide and may stick out 6" or so on each side of your PU, and the bed is around 6 or 6.5-ish feet long.

I like and have several of both trailers and an F150 will have no problem towing either one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks