• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shopping list for front axle rehab

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
What all will I need parts wise to "freshen " my front axle?

so far the list includes ...
2 boots
2 outer clamps
2 inner clamps
2 inner axle seals
2 hub seals
2 inner bearings
2 outer bearings
brake cleaner
grease
gear oil

what am I missing?
EDIT
as things come up I'll add them here
2 tabbed washers

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
new brake shoes

also, some 24087 or CARC :razz:

houdel

4 bearing cones. When you buy your inner and outer bearings (BCA/Timken #s 392 and 3994) you will get only the cones (races). You will need to buy the cups (raceways, BCA/Timken #3920) separately.

BTW, not to hijack your thread, but what happened to the "Bearing and Seal part number X-reference list" which used to be in the TA section? I tried looking for it to include in this reply, but it appears to have vanished!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel cylinder rebuild kits and doublecheck your front brake hoses before you start.

jasonjc

maybe some nuts? some times they used a hammer and chisels to remove them and they are messed up.

2 pinon seals

devilman96

4 bearing cones. When you buy your inner and outer bearings (BCA/Timken #s 392 and 3994) you will get only the cones (races). You will need to buy the cups (raceways, BCA/Timken #3920) separately.
This always frustrated me because the manuals list the bearings as a single PN but there is no "set number" in the civy world or even with most MV parts suppliers any more. I kinda made a mission out of righting this wrong about 2 months ago and got a manufacture to listen for a change… So now you can again get Timken US produced bearings under the proper Mil numbers as a set…. Which also cost less to buy that way!!!

BTW, not to hijack your thread, but what happened to the "Bearing and Seal part number X-reference list" which used to be in the TA section? I tried looking for it to include in this reply, but it appears to have vanished!
They are listed in the parts cross section not the TM section... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&tid=10

Scrounger

Don’t forget the lock washers and have some extra grade 8 bolts for the axle flange in case the bolts are stretched. I always change the lock washers and check for bolt stretch, thinning where the threads begin, every time I pull an axle.