• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Short and sweet

This is not a big road trip like some of you have written.
I just couldn't stand it any longer, road fever has been festering inside after reading all your posts of your road trips in the Duece.
I have been looking at my newly acquired Duece in the front driveway for 2 weeks and today I finally caved. I said "Dammit, I gonna drive this thing!" Not having a Class B CDL or the thing registered, I went to the Dept of Motor Vehicles, waited for 40 minutes and picked up a "Trip Permit". I was armed with an excuse for the CHP (in case I got pulled over) that I was getting it ready for a parade this weekend and a static display at a car show. What self respecting officer of the law would throw the book at me on this great weekend for rememberance of our troops. We should be remembering our men who fought the wars (my father was in the Army Air Force stationed on Tinnian Island in WWII) and are currently risking their lives so that we may live in a safer world.

I mean after all, I was taking it to the Hummer Dealer to show them what a real AM General looks like. I had already talked to them about putting it up there on the showpad. Heck, the Ventura Fwy is only 50 yards away and in plain sight of the dealership so you know it would draw attention.

Let me tell you a little about my town (well city now) of Thousand Oaks, Ca. It was a great place to grow up in the early 60's and 70's. Only 12,000 people and I tore up every hillside, cattle trail, newly graded road bed, and graded home site with my dirtbike. Street racing was king and 4 wheelin' was a way of life. Ditching the cops was survival - especially when you didn't even have a license!

Then during the 80's and 90's the "Hollywood types" (ie: film and recording stars) discoverd this quiet hamlet and moved into tha area. Our great town became a snobbish city. I used to drive down the street and know and wave to everyone, now you get the flying finger high sign from soccer moms on the phone - yeah I can't wait to get back to a small town.

So here I am driving my Duece (with the Cargo canopy) down our main thoroughfare next to Ferrari's, Mercedes', Rolls Royce's, and BMW's. Boy did I get the looks!!!! Hah! I loved it. I pulled into the Hummer Dealership and parked it next to them new H2's that they've equipped with rims that alone cost more than I paid for my whole rig.
The whole dealership (which includes Cadillac) came out to see what all the comotion was about. There were at least 45 people milling around the big rig and asking all kinds of questions especially the mechanics, oh sorry, certified technicians here. More that a handful wanted to know where to get one. Sure brings out the real interests in some of them.
You could spend $100,000 on one of the tricked-out H2's there but you'd never get the attention I got and the feeling I had when I fired that whistler up and wheeled her back on home.
I am still chuckling 4 hours later and just dying to get the license and registration finalized so I can go out and let my new Duece really stretch her legs.

Now I know the meaning of short and sweet.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outstanding Man! I love it. Any ride in a deuce is a roadtrip. I'm just fortunate enough to get to drive mine almost every day.

Desert Rat

N3UKA,
Don't you mean speed bumps? At least they do for me.................................

Big P,

Isn't it an awesome feeling knowing AMERICAN real steel can still stop everyone in their tracks and get cool stares? Maybe even a model willing to pose............................

Desert Rat

Big P,
Yeah I know all too well. But as Adam on "Mythbusters" says, and I love to quote, "I reject reality and insert my own" or something like that.

Elwenil

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage of Mythbusters

Good story, BTW. One of these days I'll get a Deuce. Until then, I hope to at least get a few looks and waves with my 715.

Dieselsmoke

Desert Rat said:
N3UKA,
Don't you mean speed bumps? At least they do for me.................................

Big P,

Isn't it an awesome feeling knowing AMERICAN real steel can still stop everyone in their tracks and get cool stares? Maybe even a model willing to pose............................

Guess I gotta PM him that pic eh DR [:)] :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks