• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I do it?

DanMartin

http://www.idahomotorpool.com/

Check out the deuce at the top (#052). I'm thinking of putting some money down in it tomorrow.

I chatted with the guy today, it runs great...they just had it out for a 160 mile trip last weekend. It looks like it's in great shape. He claimed the fresh 5 ton motor is strong (said it was almost drop-in, but some mods around the exhaust and whatnot to make it fit).

Anything I should watch out for? Sound like a good deal?

Jones

Looks pretty good. I've had some dealings with the place and they seem to be pretty much on the up and up. To me, $9K sounds like top dollar though so you might want to be sure you want one that bad.
However, if it's going to be a keeper for some time to come then what you pay is secondary to how close this truck comes to your idea of what the perfect deuce oughta be... and, it's sure nice to just climb in and start enjoying your new toy. Acquiring a year-long project sometimes takes the fun out things even when you finally get it on the road.
Tip: I know it's not always possible, but it never hurts to give this MV stuff a personal inspection. One man's 'great shape' sometimes is another man's 'boy, I hope and pray I make it home'.
By the way; welcome to the site.

SasquatchSanta

This sounds (and looks) like a good late model truck with lots of extras.

If you've got the option it's always best to start off with a good solid truck that's already got everything on it. Adding stuff later can be expensive.

If you close the deal on this truck please keep us posted as to fuel mileage. The 5-ton motor ought to make it run like a scalded dog.

Good Luck.

Bill W

Keep a eye on the temp gauge, I've read that the LDS can run hot on the highway when plumbed to the smaller deuce radiator

M1075

Dan, the truck looks good but the price is at the upper end of what deuces sell for. If you got the money, go for it!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a brother truck to mine and Readyman's. Date of manfacture should be on the blue and silver warantee dataplate on the dash by the glve box. The USAF 1988 trucks had heater, hardtop, split brakes, D turbo, dropsides and all the latest versions of parts from the factory. The motor is not original (as he states), and I wonder if this was the truck with the blown motor that was just on GL a few weeks ago. Whats the serial # of the truck?

Let us know how you make out. Yes it's alot of $, but getting a truck thats only 19 years old sure beats a 30+ year old one. Just think of all the additional rust thats NOT on it.

Mine didnt have a spec of rust on it, was stored inside, and was in GREAT shape. Readyman's was similar. Go check it out and let us know!

This is a semi dead link to the old auction, perhaps a more GL web savy memeber can get the event and lot # from that link. http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1218611&convertTo=USD

DanMartin

Yes, it had a dead motor in it. Alex said the heater had been installed incorrectly and a hose had worn through, dumped out all of the coolant and burned up the old motor. He said the 5 ton motor makes it run great...in fact it was out last weekend pulling a trailer for 160 miles with no complaints.

I think I'm going to call Alex today and put some money down....

This is my first Deuce...I'll be relying on you guys for help a lot!

My only worries are getting it back home...coming from Idaho to Oregon isn't a big deal, but I start to get worried about brakes when coming down cabbage hill. :)

Thanks for all the replies...

Dan

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dan,

One thing, if you want a winch on it, have him add it now if it's not too much $$ if he does that stuff.. I am in the process of putting one on my 1988 USAF M35A2C. It's not hard work, just alot of work, requiring a overhead lift/forklift/something to heft the winch up 4 feet, get it steady, lined up and bolted in... Plus bolting the PTO on is a messy dirty stinky job. Like a "Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs type of dirty job"..

I can see it now.. Mike is under the truck on a creeper. "Hi, my name is Mike Rowe, and this is my job. Today we will performing an annual service on a M35A2 deuce and half... About 1/2 thru the 2nd sentence, he undoes the oil drain plug on the tranny, sending old 80/90 weight all over the camera lens..... But I digress......

I have yet to see a 1987 or later USAF deuce with a winch from the factory, I dont think the USAF ordered ANY with them, but it's my own personal belief that all military vehicles should have winches just for the utilitarian use.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I wonder if that is the newer duece that was out in west about a month or so ago that had a hole in the block. I guess they would have had to replace that. It was tan and looked real nice. If it wasn't 2000+ miles I would have loved to have grabbed it. I don't think it is a bad deal as long as you carefully go over it for rust, and other problems. Just make sure it is a truck you want to keep for some time, because you would be paying for a turnkey truck. It may not hold its value that high for resale. If it was that truck from above then it was likely a truck outside of the rest zones.

DanMartin

Well, I did it...put some money down to hold it while I work out the money on my end.

So...I guess I'm a part of the club now. :)

I'll call him back later about the winch...great idea.

Dan

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Congrats on your decision Dan. I am sure you will love it. I will try and find my pics from that auction and compare it with the inside pics on this one. The auction might have some interesting details for your records on this truck if they match up. I noticed that the exhaust flapper is missing. Maybe you can get them to reinstall one.

Emmado22 I missed that you had the same idea of where this came from already. I got to read the entire thread next time.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see it now.. Mike is under the truck on a creeper. "Hi, my name is Mike Rowe, and this is my job. Today we will performing an annual service on a M35A2 deuce and half... About 1/2 thru the 2nd sentence, he undoes the oil drain plug on the tranny, sending old 80/90 weight all over the camera lens.....
Like a "Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs type of dirty job"..
Or, pulling out the oil-pan drain plugs and watching his funnel fill in the blink of an eye and spill all over the shop floor! rofl

steelandcanvas

OK Dan, Looks as though you got bit by the Green Iron Collector Bug, for which there is no cure. Your wallet will always be flat, and conversations will always revolve around the Green Beasts or in your case, a Tan Beast. Congratulations and good luck, keep coming back to this site as there are alot of very helpful and very smart people.