• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shutting down the engine

jpekarek

When I bought my 5 ton, the engine shut-off handle had been disconnected at the engine side. (the distrubutor I guess). So everytime I drive it I have to dump the clutch in 5th gear to shut it off. This raises somequestions.

1) Is this hurting my clutch or engine?
2) Is there a common reason why someone would disconnect this mechanisim?

James.

area52

I would think that its not too good for your engine.

Why not just hook up a new cable/handle to the stop lever on the IP? Go get a cheap bike cable and hook it up.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We replaced a broken cable with a heavy duty pull cable like is used on chokes on older engines. If you want to stay original, order a new shut-off cable from Saturn or other supplier.
It is not good to keep killing it with the clutch.
Regards Marti

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
#1 Fix emergency shut down. (fuel cut off)
#2 Fix electric shut down. ( fuel cut off )
#3 Shut it down using thumb screw on the side of electric fuel cutoff. ( if you don't fix elect. cut off )
#4 Don't kill motor with clutch PLEASE.
#4 Answer to questions. #1 yes #2 no

Last edited:

zout

Take your left hand and stick out your pointer finger

Take your right hand and grasp it around your left hand pointer finger tightly

Twist the living crap outta your pointer finger hard.

Inside the transmission is your mainshaft - when you dump the clutch and being in any gear is placing this load on the mainshaft twisting it - it can only take so much twist. Seeing as your brakes are applied - truck is going nowhere as well - something has to take the "load". Something will eventually break - OR put in an incubation stage as it will eventually break.

Easier to repair the original problem.

Hammer

#1 Fix emergency shut down. (fuel cut off)
#2 Fix electric shut down. ( fuel cut off )
#3 Shut it down using thumb screw on the side of electric fuel cutoff. ( if you don't fix elect. cut off )
#4 Don't kill motor with clutch PLEASE.
#4 Answer to questions. #1 yes #2 no
He has a multifuel 5 ton. Or at least I am guessing by his avatar.
So it has the same normal shutdown like the deuce.
And you can use a LOT of things to work as a shutdown.
Just think of the time you NEED to shut it down, and can't do the 5th gear dump?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks