• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Side Marker Light Brackets

Gypsyman

Ran into something odd. I ordered the side marker light brackets for the front of my '87 AF M35A2C. I wanted to compare them to the lollipop light kit and see what I would prefer on my particular truck (or possibly even run both). Upon arrival I immediately ran into a fitment issue. Unfortunately the brackets don't even come close to sitting level and the holes just barely line up at the far end of the adjustment slots in the turn signal shrouds. I contacted the vendor and we discussed the issue after I sent the photos shown below. According to the vendor they are getting the brackets from the original military supplier. The manufacturer sent them a copy of the drawing and dimensions for the brackets which was forwarded to me for comparison.

Everything appears to be correct per the drawing but the fit on my truck is a no-go without cutting the tabs off, changing the angle and overall length, and welding the tabs back on. Yes, I should have just made my own but I was hoping for a simple bolt-on. And yes, they were kind enough to give me the option of returning them but they cost so little that with shipping costs returning them doesn't make sense.

The fenders on my truck are like new with zero damage. Top of the fenders are sitting dead flat to the degree. The front of both fenders shows 43° with an inclinometer. Both turn signal guards show within 1/2° of straight up 90°. Everything is straight, tight, and without body seam gaps.

The pictures that I have saved of other installations show the side markers sitting level and square with the turn signal guards. If you look at the mini-lighting kit instructions the installation drawings also show the side markers brackets sitting level.

So, the question is, do the later AF contract trucks have slightly different front fenders?

IMG_7491.JPG IMG_7489.JPG IMG_7488.JPG IMG_7486.JPG IMG_7485.JPG

ToddJK

From what I can see, both of these were Army trucks and not air force. One looks like it's flush and the other looks like it has a gap but hard to tell and one has the square frame and the other is round. Makes me wonder if the side marker brackets weren't installed during the initial manufacturing process from the factory, if so, the parts were fitted before installing and welding.

Attachments

Gypsyman

That's an interesting comparison. The second photo sits just like mine. My OCD will never stand for that. Looks like cutting and welding will be required for a level installation.

ToddJK

That's an interesting comparison. The second photo sits just like mine. My OCD will never stand for that. Looks like cutting and welding will be required for a level installation.
It almost seems like they made the brackets to be a one size fits all kinda thing. Will you cover this process via description or pictures on what you did to make it fit? I'm curious to see the finished product once you're done.

Gypsyman

I will but it may be a while with all of the other items that I'm working on. It will really just involve cutting off the bent tab, shortening the overall length, correcting the angle at the fender, and welding the tab back on. Might even be easier to just make a whole new bracket that fits properly. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks