• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Signal lights, hazard and brake lights don’t work

Unimog66

Hi
just bought a 1996 m1084, the signal , hazard and brake lights don’t work, can anyone give me tips on where to check, they worked the first day but don’t work now. i am new to these trucks and don’t know a lot about them. Maybe someone has a little video on the 3 levers where to position them
thanks

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military trucks in general start out in light discipline mode by default where nothing works till you select either service drive or park. Once you turn on the headlights all the other systems will function. With the headlights switch in "off" NOTHING in the lighting system will function.

Ronmar

Yep, select service drive, by raising the short lock lever to allow you to rotate the top lever to the service drive position. You also do not have any brake lights until you do this…

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!

Here on the forum you will likely find what you need for this and other issues that may arise. First you may want to look in the TM section:
Forums/Technical Manuals/FMTV>

While not a TM for the M1084, the M1083 (and other A0 FMTV's) have a similar light switch. The TM_9-2320-366-10-X are operator manuals. If you look at TM_9-2320-366-10-1 the last entry in the contents may assist you.

IMG_3728.jpeg

Others here will be able to help much more.

Does your unit have the material handling crane?

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked the flasher relay (PDP) and the brake light switch (pedal)? Schematics are at the back of certain TM's—

Ronmar

Well there are 2 brake-light switches in parallel, so I suspect the issue lies elsewhere. Sadly, the light circuit is the most complex/convoluted on the truck:)

lets start with just the brake circuit.

1. Do any relays in the panel energize when you step on the brake pedal? If so, which ones are activating? With engine off, ign on and air tanks full, stepping on the pedal you should be able to hear them, and feel them click to identify exactly which ones are activating. I am thinking there should be at least 4 relays, K6, K10, K30 and K31…

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do the 4-way hazards work?

In any case, it is usually the turn signal switch failing, as it routes all circuits having to do with signals.

If the switch is bad, there are many Asian copies out there, and they are problematic.

Search for a turn switch unit from Nartron, they are the best and have not been copied.

This is the good one, but these guys are sold out. I'd search eBay.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the good one, but these guys are sold out. I'd search eBay.

FMTV's don't use this switch. They use a German column switch that has integrated wiper, washer, and horn controls.

coachgeo

So you giving up and going back to your 404 yet? 🤠 :ROFLMAO:.

you'll figure it out. look at fuse panel and see if you got the breakers in their for lights etc. They may have been robbed from the truck for other trucks. Happens.

Ronmar

Started this schematic a while back and finally finished it, condensed from the pages of schematics for the A0. Just the basic on-truck lighting, no blackout, rotating beacon, park or 24v commercial trailer circuits(its complex enough without all that:))

IMG_3909.jpeg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks