• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Significant Fuel Leak M998

H1NSX

Hello guys. I have a 1990 M998.

It is leaking fuel directly into the air-filter canister. Fuel is also coming out of the air-filter barrel and running down the passenger fender.
All I can find is a hard plastic line coming from the engine into the top side of the air-filter barrel. Also I can see a rubber house directly between the barrel and air stack housing.

I can send photos if need be.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

H1NSX

That has crossed my mind, I will have to check. Not sure yet how I would be able to tell if the diaphram were bad.

Thanks for your prompt reply to inquiry

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No kit, replace the entire thing. If the pump is the culprit, you need to check all the gear cases for being full of diesel as well, the vent system is tied together with the air cleaner being the high spot.

H1NSX

I have now learned from the prior owner the fuel pump is new. It certainly looks new too.

Any other advice based on the info stated in the original post?

I plan to post photos of the leak soon.

Thanks for your advice so far NDT.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is also a vent line that comes from the fuel tank to a little filter right on top of the air cleaner. I have never seen this, but I suppose if you overfilled the tank and parked on a down slope, maybe it could run out?

Action

There is also a vent line that comes from the fuel tank to a little filter right on top of the air cleaner. I have never seen this, but I suppose if you overfilled the tank and parked on a down slope, maybe it could run out?
You would almost need to be on the nose. That vent is at the bottom of the winshield.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something else crossed my mind. Are you SURE the fluid it diesel? If it's ATF you could have vampire disorder.

Wire Fox

Something else crossed my mind. Are you SURE the fluid it diesel? If it's ATF you could have vampire disorder.
This. A whole lot of this. It really behaves like the "vampire" where fluid gets pressed up through the vent lines and floods every connected item with ATF.

Otherwise, remember that new parts can be just as bad as old parts. It's not unheard of or even rare that a "brand new" part is DOA.

H1NSX

Thanks for the new leads guys. I will be investigating those ideas in the days ahead. I will post a picture or two soon to show what I see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks