• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Single DIN radio installtion with stock 24V setup advice and tips needed

Howdy folks, wishing everyone a great week ahead! I had a question about my latest project to my M1009 and some advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am installing a single DIN radio (made a center console for it, may post pics once its all done) and I will be using 4 speakers with subwoofers in the rear with an amplifier. Here is what I have to figure out. If I use power from the one of the batteries grounded to the body/frame would I be able to just get 12V? Also, what are some good ground spots in the rear (maybe the bus bar?)? Also, anyone know anywhere in the fuse panel that turns on when the key is on in the accessory location that I can use as the signal wire for the radio to turn on when the truck is on? I want to try to avoid going into the steering column for a singal wire since I do not have a lot of time to complete the project. And advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have pictures of what you did that would be amazing! Thanks everyone!! Happy fixing!

MarcusOReallyus

The interior wiring is 12v. It comes from the front battery, and you can connect there or you can run to the diamond-shaped 12v stud on the firewall, near the GP relay.

The rear battery is 24v to ground; you don't want to mess with that for your radio.

I don't recall which port on the fuse panel is switched hot, but it's there. Just use a test light and you can easily find it.