• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Size diff. M54 & 800/900 series 5T

L1A1

Hey guys!
Was curious as to the difference in size between the old M54 5 tons and the newer 800 (& 900) series trucks. I don't have one to do a side by side comparison but it seems to me that the later trucks are much bigger machines. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section (was thinking about posting it in "conversations" ).

Thanks,
Matt

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the 54/809/900 all have the same wheel base, the 809 has about 8"longer hood for the cummins

L1A1

73m819
Thanks for the reply. I guess it's the 8" that does it (no jokes, please :lol:) The 800 (& 900) series trucks just look so much larger to me. It's been around 10 years since I've seen an M54 up close so maybe the memory has faded a little.

jatonka

The 900 series is quite a bit different, agreed, wider cab, wider windshields, now specific left and right. completely different hood arrangement, and I really think different cab doors. On that, I may get corrected. JT out

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The 939-series use the same doors JT, but yes the cab is a foot wider. It is very roomy and I may never be able to go back to a regular cab. It is a taller truck too on the super singles. I will find a pic on my PC with my 923A2 sitting next to AM General's M816 and post it.

Alredneck

Banned
trucks are different but beds are same length/width are they not? I had a 900 series wrecker when I first joined the Army it was pretty cool till they gave me a Hemmt!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, the beds are the same. The mounting points on the A2 trucks are different though because the bed had to be offset more to the rear to provide clearance for the larger 14.00R20 tire between the cab and the bed.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 900 series cab sits just slightly higher and further forward than the 800 series too, which helps with spare tire clearance.
Even with both trucks on 14.00s, that 900 nose makes the 800 look much smaller!

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks