• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave Cable with a Twist

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I took a slave cable receptacle and put jumper cables on it thinking it was a good idea. If you pull any real current at all, like to start a truck, they just melt the lead. They might work to charge some batterys over a period of time, but not to jump a truck.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a pretty heavy duty unit, the clips are super heavy and the slave cable leads go right to the clips. I am going to have to try them out!

CGarbee

I took a slave cable receptacle and put jumper cables on it thinking it was a good idea. If you pull any real current at all, like to start a truck, they just melt the lead. They might work to charge some batterys over a period of time, but not to jump a truck.
Hmmm, interesting...
I've made up a similar cable and have not had any problems jump staring stuff as large as a duece (jumped from another duece or a five ton) although I will admit that it sees more service jumping the M37's and M38's in the yard... Not sure how much current I have been pulling, but I have seriously heavy duty clamp on ends, a forty foot cable, and clamp over the terminal lugs when using it...

mckeeranger

What kind of clamps did you use? When I build a heavy set of jumper cables, I use welding clamps. They are usually a lot heavier than normal jumper cable parts.

123mack

When I first went into the Army National Guard, there were still some early M151s with no slave recepticle. A modded cable like this was the only way to jump them off, other than using a civy type jumper cable.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These were in one of the trucks I have gotten, they look like welding ground clips, very heavy duty, I may strip the electrical tape off the cables to see what kind of connection he used, the tape needs replacing anyway.

derf

I'd love to have a whip like that. If anyone has one and fears using it then please let me know and I'll take it off your hands. Or, I'd like to make one from a cheap, used slave cable.

CGarbee

Yes, mine were made from regular jumper cable clamps. I used what I had on hand.
Ahhh.... Nothing wrong with using what you have. :)
I had an end off a bad two pin slave cable on hand, but had to purchase the rest. Used 0 gauge wire and a set of clamps from McMaster-Carr that are rated at 800 amps (part #7178K9). Asside from having the two pin military end, it looks the same as the ones that we use on the trucks at work (which have what is now being called a "North American Connector" on one end, that flat plastic two pin plug you see on commercial wreckers and remote mounted winches, etc.).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks