• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Small towbar?

ida34

I got a tow bar from a guy in FL a while back. It has the multi adapters that have the 3/4 and the 1 inch holes on one adapter. I got the MWO kit to reinforce the bar. That is when I noticed that my bar is smaller in diameter than the MWO kit is built for. The bar is adjustable The smaller part of the bar is just under 2 inches. I will post pics tomorrow. Does anyone know anything about this bar? I looked for some numbers and found none on the bar anywhere. I was hoping someone might know what type of bar I have and what it is rated to pull. I have to tow home my five ton on Thursday and want to make sure the bar can take it. I have pulled a deuce with the bar before with no problems. Any insight is appreciated. Again, I will try to get some pics posted tomorrow night.

Chuck

emr

I got one or 2 of those , they are still good up to a deuce,great for all things under and one can lift it without an effort, used mine for years, I call it the light medium,This was never called for an MWO, but it would be worth it if U are going to go the effort, its just a 3 inch pipe sleave, And U would have the piece of mind knowing U did a safety upgrade, I would only staight pull a 5 ton with it off road and in an emergency when no other bar was available, just rquires more attention, and skill level, BUT NOT down the road for sure, ...Randy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, I believe in previous posts, "we" determined the towbar you have is what we called the "small medium". It is the "original"that was replaced with the Medium bars currently in use. I believe it was rated the same but they were taken out of service and replaced with the "beefier" ones after repeated offroad use breakages occurred. They are much lighter to handle!

Take a look at this one, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=16051&highlight=medium+towbar

and this one(ratings in this one), http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8639&highlight=medium+towbar

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
DH has it right. That is the original "medium"TB. Offroad they had some problems with it and converted to the "standard" medium you mostly see now. They were originally rated at 42,000lbs compared to the 39,900 of the replacement. I doubt you would have trouble towing your 818 home with it since you will be on paved roads. I'll see if I can find the tm for the original.

ida34

I remembered the previous thread but could not find it by a search. I thought you guys had told that it was about the same tow rating but it was academic until now. I have used it one to pull Oilcan's deuce to the house. Thanks for the input guys.

TedG

hi chuck

I have a new medium with adapters that you can borrow. let me know!

regards,

ida34

Thanks Ted. I think I should be good but I am going to Lansing tomorrow for the Michigan/Michigan State woman's basketball game. If you are around I might just take you up on that. Does yours have the MWO applied? If not I may be able to set you up with the kit since it will not fit mine. PM me if you are going to be around around 4 pm or so.

Thanks
Chuck

TedG

chuck,
it is new and has the collar and all adapters and pins. I do have two so if you want buy it, that can happen too. or you can just borrow it.

I will pm you.

ida34

Ted,
A little cash poor right now but maybe Chris and I can do a deal and we can all be happy. I will keep both of you in mind. We will talk.

Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks