• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

smoking batteries

mcmud

So I took my truck out last night, nothing crazy, got home and noticed a significant amount of heat and steam coming from the batteries when i lifted the seat. Its only 30 miles to were we went, mostly freeway, and it was fine when we got there. Two of the batteries were steaming through the ports on top. It was enough to cause actual condensation under the seat. These batteries are supposed to be the nice ones, sealed and i believe gel, maintenance free. Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what would cause this? Thanks!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like your system is overcharging and boiling/cooking the batteries. Check the batteries individually to make sure one has not shorted out and your charging system voltage.

tstone

You don't want to continue to drive the vehicle until you correct the overcharging issue; excess Hydrogen gas could cause an explosion or at least a very noxious and unpleasant odor in the cab. Batteries can explode if overheated to an extent that the Hydrogen gas finds an ignition source and acid launched by a rupture would be a secondary hazard. All scenarios are dangerous.

Tom

mcmud

I guess I'll just test it where its at then! Haha. What kinda of numbers should i look for if the battery is bad? Whats the safe output of volts from the alternator?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are over charging as said or your batteries have gone bad and shorted some cells.
I would check the voltage coming out of the alt.

mcmud

What are the volt levels I should see under normal operating limits? Should I test each battery individually or will that skew the test since they are in series?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the batteries are bad, the voltage out of the alternator will be high. Put new (good) batteries in and the voltage will be normal again with no adjustment. Disconnect the batteries and use a load tester on them, one at a time. If bad, replace.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should see around 27-28.5volts coming out of the Alt.
Check the voltage on the batteries with the truck off, they should read about 12 volts.
If you have 27-28.5 coming out of the Alt. I would put a charger on the batteries one at a time and see
what you get.

Was your Voltage gauge in the red when you were driving?

mcmud

I didn't notice. On the way out there it was fine, on the way back it was about 2 am and I didn't check where that gauge was sitting at. Will it run high at idle too or only high under load?

mcmud

Another question I just thought of: If only one battery is bad, could I just unplug that series and run off the other two? It would still be 24 volts, just half the batteries.

mcmud

Being out in southern Cali, I don't think I'll have that problem, haha. Our cold weather may hit high 50's. Not enough to really phase the engine I don't think.

whiskey357

Banned
I would be on the safe side and pull and test batteries one at a time like metion before...then check the alt outvoltage....27-28.5 VDC should right....sounds like you are luckly and the things didn't explode under you .....I would check them now is a good time.....Or check the insurance plan for boom stuff...best of luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks