• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

smoking

dmilkman589

where is the injection pump check screw or what ever its called located. and what is it for??? im having smoking problems. i figured id start there..

armytruck63

Just when the engine is cold, or once she is up to temperature?

A little smoke on acceleration is normal. You should see how a CUCV smokes at high altitudes.

dmilkman589

smokes when i start, and after its warm. just smokes all the time. blue. very blue. changed the fuel filter already. so im starting to think its injection pump. so looking for that check valve or return valve, whatever it is. and where?

dmilkman589

ok so i found the injection pump return valve or where its suppose to be. there isnt one. there is just the nipple for the hose to go on . no valve. the nipple screws right into the pump. is that bad???

NMC_EXP

ok so i found the injection pump return valve or where its suppose to be. there isnt one. there is just the nipple for the hose to go on . no valve. the nipple screws right into the pump. is that bad???
The so called check valve (housing pressure regulator valve) on the front of the injection pump looks like a pipe nipple. It is right next to the pink wire. The internal valve is a glass ball. When pumps begin to fail, the valve plugs with debris and a band aid fix is to knock the glass ball out of the valve.

Removing the glass ball can reportedly result in fuel drain back / loss of prime in the injection pump when the engine is off causing rough idle and smoke on startup.

Don't think it would smoke after the air worked its way out of the system.

Regards

Jim

aggopian

TM Reference

TM 9-2320-289-34 Page 47

MALFUNCTION
TEST OR INSPECTION
CORRECTIVE ACTION
33. BLUE SMOKE (ENGINE OIL BURNING IN CYLINDERS)
NOTE
Foamy or milky oil or rust on engine oil level indicator are evidence of
contamination,
Step 1. Check engine oil level indicator for evidence of contamination.
Replace engine oil and engine oil filter if contaminated. (See
TM 9-2320-289-20)
Step 2. Replace crankcase depression regulator valve assembly. (See TM 9-2320-289-20)
Step 3. Check compression of each cylinder. (See paragraph 3-2)
Step 4. Remove cylinder head. (See paragraph 3-7) Inspect valve oil seals and valve
guides for damage.
Replace any damaged valve oil seals. (See paragraph 3-8) Repair valve
guides if damaged. (See paragraph 3-8)