• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snap On Calendar Deuceswild Deuce!

Deuceswild

Hey Guys,
Still not over the departure, but life must go on.....

Thought I'd let the cat out of the bag a little early.

This is one of the pictures I took and submitted to Snap On Tools last year and guess what!!!

Some day ( I hope soon ), I hope to rescue another and bring 'er back!!!

Jeff.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Snap On Calendar Deuceswild Deuce!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Very Nice:
I still have snap on tools that belonged to my Grandfather they are still in service and going strong just like the deuce.
The Snap-On stuff I bought 15 years and still looks and feels new. Can't say that for the Crapsman stuff.......

Congrats Jeff :beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Snap On Calendar Deuceswild Deuce!

The Snap-On stuff I bought 15 years and still looks and feels new. Can't say that for the Crapsman stuff.......
Ditto, only my stuff was bought around 25 years ago. The MAC stuff still works great too. I'm not a huge fan of Craftsman but their professional stuff is decent.

alphadeltaromeo

*buys Craftsman...can't afford Snap-On...have to f..e....e.......d chil...d....r..en* :twisted:

For all of you better off than I folk...here is my list for this year:

SS Christmas List
1. Snap-On tools
2. More Snap-On tools
3. And a few more Snap-On tools
4. Air-O-Matic for deuce (focusing on pregnant wifey driving it hehe)
5. A long holiday...

Yah, that should do it. Please feel free to add to the list as the "giving spirit" grows... :roll:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

VERY cool - and great main-stream exposure for the hobby!

Congrats,
David Doyle

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I personally like Craftsman tools mainly because I don't want to spend triple the price (or more) on better quality tools (I understand you get what you pay for...but Craftsman tools have done me just fine). Their return policy can't be beat. With that said, my brother in law, who worked (he is deceased) with his tools for a living once put everything into perspective. He told me that, while the Craftsman return policy was great, it did not do him any good if he was on a job site and a tool broke. Time is money as they say. I understood exactly what he meant... I use my tools around the house and for the mil-veh hobby only so I can afford the time to drive to Sears to make an exchange if I have to do so.

Great job getting your deuce into the calendar. It's always good to spread the word about the hobby!

tbanks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
snapon

I still have the first snap on tool set I baught while still in school in 1984.The prices are high but you can bet when i get done with them they get put back up.

citizensoldier

RE: snapon

What ever happened to our calender?
As for Snap On.. Love them but cant afford them.. I have a few old ones from garage sales and they just keep on ticking.. I did brake the half inch ratchet but it took a 6 foot breaker bar and going the wrong direction on a M37 wheel nut.. It was my first truck and being a product of the 70's didnt know anything about reverse threads at that time.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: snapon

Snap-On quality has gone down..not the strength, but the finishes. Chrome peels off too easy now and it will cut you. Still warranted forever though! Good job Jeff! I submitted mine too, but I was 2 weeks past the deadline :(

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Regarding the quality of the finishes, I totally agree. A combination of greed (at the hands of the CEO's), relentless consumer desire for cheaper products and competition from LCC's (low cost countires) is pushing down the quality of every item in this Country. The Wal-Mart/"everything is disposable, just buy another" mentality will eventually ruin us.

On to the tool convo. I always had Craftsman and thought it was fine until I went to work in the automotive repair industry (mgmt., not a technician). I was allowed to use the tech's tools to work on my own stuff after hours and I was amazed at the difference. It's just impossible to describe, you have to work with one and then the other to know how much better the good stuff feels.

My suggestion to everyone, especially the younger folks like Andy is to find a dealer, start an account and simply keep a running tab. Buy an item and pay $25, $50, whatever you can afford, per week. Once the item is paid off, buy something else. You might as well do it this way as the cost of this week-to-week financing is already built into the cost of the tool*. Even if I paid cash, my Snap-On dealer would only cut like 10% off the cost of a purchase and a lot of times, it just didn't make financial sense. It may seem like it's going to take forever (especially when a ratchet set costs $300) but you'll amass a significant collection more quickly than you would think.

Someone above made a very good point: The Sears warranty will do you no good at 9pm on a Saturday night when you are knee deep in a job and the tool breaks. You'll be waiting until Noon the next day to replace it. Dead in the water.

*This does not cover huge purchases like toolboxes, which do have their own financing (and associated interest rates).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was allowed to use the tech's tools to work on my own stuff after hours and I was amazed at the difference. It's just impossible to describe, you have to work with one and then the other to know how much better the good stuff feels.
This is so true. Screwdrivers are a perfect example. Once you use a Snap-On or Mac screwdriver, you really don't want to go back to anything else.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A blurp about Proto:" Proto is unique because it goes through addtional testing and certification because it is used by NASA, the military, and industrial customers (including General Motors). "

Proto is made by Stanley and is supposedely a premier version of MAC Tools, also made by Stanley.

Elwenil

Stanley Proto does make Mac but I have not noticed anything similar in their designs other than general similarities. Proto is not cheap by any means and are great quality but because of the cost, they are overkill for my uses. I use Mac and like them as a cheaper alternative to Proto and Snap-On. Also when I was looking to invest some money in tools the local Snap-On truck driver was a complete jerk. I would say what I really think of him, but the censor won't let me. Basically he looked at me as though I couldn't afford his tools. So I placed a $6k order with Mac instead. It worked out great since now I have about $14k in tools and I wouldn't have half of it if I had bought Snap-On instead. Snap-On is good stuff though and I like it, I just won't buy it. I do have an almost complete 1/2" 6 point Snap-On socket set from all the sockets I keep finding in used vehicles I buy, lol.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Proto is higher quality than Mac? Guess this is possible! All of my Mac stuff was bought before Stanley bought Mac. I'd compare my Mac to my Snap-On as equals in quality. Anyone have feedback on Matco?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a "no compromise" tool to me, I like them and they come in black. :twisted: ...built like a deuce and a half.
Never bought any at full price, way out of reach, but I find them at yard sales and on ebay, of course.

Attachments

Blood_of_Tyrants

SnapOn makes fine tools but they are overpriced. If you work in a place where the SnapOn guy comes around regularly, it's great. But if you are just an average Joe, getting SnapOn tools replaced is a pain. Craftsman may not make the best tools, but getting them replaced is as easy as driving to Sears and presenting the broken tool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks