• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow/ice chains for m-35 w 9x20 ndcc tread

rmgill

I bought a set from Tirechains.com.

I ran them 2 winters ago when we got a snow/ice storm in Georgia. With front wheel drive engaged and chains on the front and rear axles, my truck was VERY controlled and planted even on ice. I was able to tow a MARTA bus that was blocking the road with a 4" tow strap. With duals, you should be able to find a set for 900x20 duals.

You should be able to find a set surplus or spend some extra money on a brand new set.

OH, see photo at left. They work great.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you intend to use the chains for? Traction aid for the mostly empty hobby truck, so you do not get stuck on the road on the way home? Then one set of ladder-type chains (e.g. miltary surplus), single-wheel type, is likely sufficient. Put them onto the rearmost outer wheels. No need to wrestle with dual chains. Alternatively, you can put them onto the front axle, 6x6 engaged, and the front wheels will pull you nicely around turns.

Planning to do off-roading in the snow, do heavy pulling/recovery with your winch? Get a set for each axle - duals for the rear and singles on the front. If you can, avoid the ladder type chains and go for the "criss-cross" type chains that also have extra chain links welded at a 90 degree angle on the short traction chains to increase the profile and to really dig in. Here is what I mean: http://tirechains.com/TND-Tire-Chains.htm
They make you as close to unstoppable as it gets. They are also decent on ice, where the ladder-type chains can cause your rear end opening to hold the seat cover in a death grip. If you REALLY want to know what first-rate tire chains look like, go there: http://pewagchain.com/

As for speed...having chains on when on bare pavement is illegal in most places. If the going is good, I'd restrict myself to about 30mph/50 km/h on packed snow with chains on.

Last edited: