• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snowplow

Capt.Marion

Dave at Eastern Surplus used to have a deuce snow plow setup on his site, about 6-12 months ago I think. I seem to recall TNJ murray having had an 813 5-ton 12' snow plow rig on their site in the past as well. Its certainly possible.

mangus580

I have seen them, but honestly, you would have to get INSANE amounts of snow to bother. You would be better off plowing with something like a CUCV for most snowfall. I know mine happily plows 2-3' at a time without any issues at all. A deuce is just too cumbersome to maneuver to have a plow on the front. Maybe if you were doing roads... but even then, a Civvy truck of the deuces size is much better suited.

bnbrown

I have been thinking of finding a deuce and putting a plow on it for this coming winter, was pretty mild for snowfall this past winter but still had drifts well over 3-4' deep and a couple hundred feet long (in the foothills of the Rockies)... would be using it to plow our road, about 3+ miles. How hard is it to find a plow for one and how hard would it be to attach?

bnbrown

RE: M35 snowplow

whats the blade width on that thing? would be plowing a dirt road through trees and curves, but dont have to worry about parked cars or anything of that nature. How well does it do with the deeper stuff?

yorkgulch2

Mike is right about probably not needing anything that big in Virginia. Upstate NY and Rockies are a different thing. Still Mikes comment about a smaller truck being easier to manuverand use is right on target. If you get the m35 stuck it is a problem. I use my M37 almost all of the time. But also have a 4x4 loader/backhoe for the big snows. The backhoe makes a nice snow sweeper. Also you need at least a 10 ft plow on a M35 so you are still wider than the wheels at full angle. I have a 10 ft plow for my m35 but still working on getting hydraulics.

jatonka

M35 snowplow

The blade width on the head plow is 12'6" but actually cuts about 10' due to it's set angle.
The blade on the wing tower is 11' long but actually cuts about 5'6" due to it's set angle.
You do not need to use the wing when the head plow is down if the snow is very heavy, but it is wise to set it level part way down to move some of the front snow off to the side.
It is not a good setup for a 100' driveway in Suburbia, but for a long country lane with a way to turn around and come back through winging to the other side, it just can't be beat.
I have plowed the" 6 foot", which is the roadway along side the 2 Mainline railroad tracks through Upstate New York from Amsterdam to Buffalo for many years, 1st with a V204 International wing plow and now with this old M35A2. JT

bnbrown

Sounds like something that would work, have plenty of room to turn around at the end of the road, getting stuck isnt a huge concern, most of it is on hills, so can always go downhill (maybe not in the intended heading), need to cut wide enough to get our dually pickups and trailers through without having to make a bunch of swipes at it, so not cutting a honda path... would probably also be cutting the neighbors road, another 4 or 5 miles there. On the units like at eastern surplus how are the hydraulics powered? (electric, belt, gear)
Would love to get a 5-ton, but the $$ difference is a little too much right now, and I want to actually use the 5-ton for on road, the duece with plow would never hit the public road.

Mike_Pop

I've got an 8' Fisher plow, complete with lights, frame, hydraulics, and controller for sale in NJ. $350, come and get it or I can deliver for a fee.

jatonka

The hydraulics on my wing Deuce are run by the engine crankshaft through the boxed out section of the radiator to a central hydraulic pump that is live all the while. it runs the plow, wing, sander, and dump box, any time you want it. It can be shut off when travelling on a mission. It doesn't get stuck very often, actually never yet, but there is always a first time I guess. As a point of interest, it is a sprag type transfer case with a Memphis Equipment REB Kit installed to select all wheel or rear wheel drive and it is the greatest thing since peanut butter and jelly. I wish they still made them. JT out

bnbrown

wouldn't want that pump to get stuck if it crank driven for sure ;) How difficult are those plows to remove for summer? or do you need your own 10ton hoist to get them on and off...
I thought about just getting a regular pickup mounted plow, but know for a fact it wont cut it.

BEASTMASTER

go check around the hiway depts in you're area, they sometimes will sell some old plows off. they don't look like much but still plow snow and they're cheap money.you might even get a plow frame with it off one of the older trucks. :driver:

bnbrown

thats a good idea, sure I could fab something up for a frame if needed. a v-plow would be sweet, a little heavier though I imagine.