• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I bought a Het...

abigo4206

searched forums- found all sorts of feedback for other things
2002 detroit 8x8 winch truck
Ready to go pick it up in Doyle Ca. Looks like a staging yard near Sierra Army Depot. Sending a driver to pick it up. (I own a transportation company, cdl driver- transport plates etc)
- Query- should I send a roadside repair to drain the fuel tank and sway the fuel filter (thinking it has JP8).
Other than a slow, fuel guzzling drive back, anything else anyone can tell us to look out for?
Planning a repaint, use to move equipment inside TX (I know large state) , would love to cap off the CTIS, swap wheels and new tires (thinking 425s)
Any input is appreciated. Thank you in advance

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
searched forums- found all sorts of feedback for other things
2002 detroit 8x8 winch truck
Ready to go pick it up in Doyle Ca. Looks like a staging yard near Sierra Army Depot. Sending a driver to pick it up. (I own a transportation company, cdl driver- transport plates etc)
- Query- should I send a roadside repair to drain the fuel tank and sway the fuel filter (thinking it has JP8).
Other than a slow, fuel guzzling drive back, anything else anyone can tell us to look out for?
Planning a repaint, use to move equipment inside TX (I know large state) , would love to cap off the CTIS, swap wheels and new tires (thinking 425s)
Any input is appreciated. Thank you in advance
So, I'm jealous. I keep looking for a HET, but I either have a wallet problem - or I am not looking hard enough.

The only Detroits I have ever worked on were 8v92TT's and they weren't running anything but diesel. MY OPINION is that if that baby cranks up and runs, I would drive it with the fuel that it has in it. ASSUMING that it hasn't been sitting so long that it has started growing algae in the tank... You should be able to add fuel as you need to without removing the JP4 {maybe it is even JP8} or whatever they use today.

I would carry a full set of fuel filters and maybe a second set for CYA purposes. I would have your driver investigate the tank before you try to start it. Using a BRIGHT light to make sure everything looks clear to the bottom...

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy from Texas!

The JP8 in the tank is fine as long as there's no water. Treat with any additive you prefer and burn it. The HET's are sensitive to their engine oil and should be changed out to SAE40. The Army uses 15w40 as a fleet standard for logistical reasons and they don't care about longevity since they overhaul trucks completely anyway. The rear axle counter steers so be aware that oversteering is common. That rear axle has no weight on it if bobtailing meaning you will drag those tires if coming to an intermediate or severe stop. Make sure to have good batteries and connections since it's a 12v/24v system and the alternators can be fickle.

P.S. **Corrected**

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better check the date codes on the 16.00s before you send a driver. If they are ancient, a blowout is likely. Suggest having it hauled. The wheels are 20” with a very untypical bolt circle.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They can be sketchy when towing a pintle trailer. Especially loaded. The lateral push on the air bags is interesting Especially when it's wet.

You need a really long neck trailer to work with it. A Load King 603 has both forward and rear set kingpin positions so it can work on LWB and short trucks. However using the dual winches to pick those necks up isn't much fun but atleast they have free spool on them.

abigo4206

Thank you all, will order some fuel filters so he can travel with them just in case, purchase some additive when he lands and add it, order some SAE40 and change along the way- 1500 mile trip from Doyle CA to Flint, Tx, hauling quotes have been $10k - with fuel flight and some pm can spend 1/3 of that.
Yeah, I was wondering about the wheels- anyone who has changed them, please feel free to offer suggestions.
Trailer is what I am hunting next, looking at a 53' triple axle lowboy unit with 28' deck at a dealer. Dealer can add pony motor for $4k to assist (really spoiled my drivers using those)- winches- heard horror stories about hydraulic filters, got to back out the bolts halfway only, inexperienced folks try to remove completely and snap them, then you have to order full housings to replace...
Will try to do as much PM internally as we can- thankful to have a Nat Guard mech who worked on them close at hand.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you all, will order some fuel filters so he can travel with them just in case, purchase some additive when he lands and add it, order some SAE40 and change along the way- 1500 mile trip from Doyle CA to Flint, Tx, hauling quotes have been $10k - with fuel flight and some pm can spend 1/3 of that.
Yeah, I was wondering about the wheels- anyone who has changed them, please feel free to offer suggestions.
Trailer is what I am hunting next, looking at a 53' triple axle lowboy unit with 28' deck at a dealer. Dealer can add pony motor for $4k to assist (really spoiled my drivers using those)- winches- heard horror stories about hydraulic filters, got to back out the bolts halfway only, inexperienced folks try to remove completely and snap them, then you have to order full housings to replace...
Will try to do as much PM internally as we can- thankful to have a Nat Guard mech who worked on them close at hand.
Tires you should be mindful of. If you can buy a set that is selling there for spares, maybe a 105 trailer to tag along etc

Or drive out and rig up a towbar to a pickup so you have a support vehicle to go get stuff if need be.

Last het recovery someone here did they ended up blowing 3 tires in under 2000mi.

abigo4206

Tires you should be mindful of. If you can buy a set that is selling there for spares, maybe a 105 trailer to tag along etc

Or drive out and rig up a towbar to a pickup so you have a support vehicle to go get stuff if need be.

Last het recovery someone here did they ended up blowing 3 tires in under 2000mi.
Copy this- setup transport today to have it delivered instead, ty

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The primary fuel filter and air filter are not commercially available items, though the fuel filter can probably be swapped with another with the same micron rating and threads. The water in fuel sensor not being hooked up might cause a check engine light, it's been a long time and I don't remember exactly.

The secondary fuel filter is available.

Two bottle jacks are a good idea (perhaps necessary) for tire changes. A 5/8" flare nut wrench is a good idea to not damage the CTIS fittings if you have to change a tire.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The primary fuel filter and air filter are not commercially available items, though the fuel filter can probably be swapped with another with the same micron rating and threads. The water in fuel sensor not being hooked up might cause a check engine light, it's been a long time and I don't remember exactly.

The secondary fuel filter is available.

Two bottle jacks are a good idea (perhaps necessary) for tire changes. A 5/8" flare nut wrench is a good idea to not damage the CTIS fittings if you have to change a tire.
Primary fuel is Baldwin BF1329

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Primary fuel is Baldwin BF1329
I will give note that the Baldwin cross reference is way off. Seal isn't even close.

Filter head has some specs as Fleetguard 142784S which fits Fleetguard FS1000, FS1212 ETC. However FS1000 is too tall so then 1212 is the only option

I am sure I can find a lower bowl replacement filter later.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks