• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I just bought a HEMTT....

gerktron01

I recently found the web site IronPlanet and they had quite a few HEMTTs for sale of various versions. I was just playing around with the idea of owning one as a wild dream. I placed a bid and won the auction. I was shocked my bid won, as it wasn't nearly what the others went for at the time of auction. I sent the money and arranged the pick up of this beast.

12184298_10153799604997577_1365751020587042158_o.jpghemtt0001.jpg
This is me(arms in air) and the very kind friend who helped retrieve this beast from Fort Bragg, NC.

She is a 1983 M977 HEMTT. 13k on her after the 1100 mile drive back to Wisconsin. The trip was quite eventful......

When we arrived on base it was raining and they had the truck "ready" to go. I did a quick walk around and made sure the brakes worked well before we left the lot. It was a crap shoot if it was advertised and would make the journey.
We left the base and headed for the nearest gas station that would take this beast at the pump. The fuel gauge was dead and I had no way to dip the tank so we filled it up till the pump shut off and it turns out it was almost full from the beginning. (We weren't allowed to open anything on base due to rules and such.)

We filled checked the fluids and made sure the brakes were greased. After the fuel stop we left for Indiana where our hotel was. Along the way the trans temp gauge kept climbing and climbing. It finally got to the max the TM said to allow it and we found a Lowes to park and and check the trans fluid level and let her cool off. I started playing with the light switches and the gauge snapped back to the normal range. WHEW!!!! After that scare we figured we had to keep going if the temp was ok and was dropping as we sat there.

The trip through the mountains was interesting and foggy as all get out. The Jake brake worked great coming out of the hills and I hardly had to use the brakes. I got her up to 62mph on level ground at red line; 65 coasting down the hills. She is governed at 2100 rpm and will do that all day. Believe me.

The first pic is the moment we arrived in Indiana at 01:45. After a quick sleep we left for Wisconsin the next day as early as we could. Half way back I glanced down at the gauges like I had been all day and as I looked the oil pressure gauge dropped instantly to zero. I radioed my buddy in the chase car and we pulled over and checked the oil. She was a little low, but still on the dip stick. We added a ~ a half gallon and sat there. I got back in and hit the dash in frustration. I restarted the truck and the oil pressure gauge was working again!!! The bumps must have knocked a ground loose over the first 750 miles. At that point we were gonna go till we couldn't if we did actually loose oil pressure.

Thankfully everything worked out and we made it back to Wisconsin without any issues. Just found some things to fix throughout the winter.

I need to replace the traction control switch because it leaked the WHOLE trip home. We took the panel apart at the first stop because I couldn't build past 75 psi in the tanks. Turns out a few of the air lines for the switch were loose and the housing is cracked on the back side.

Other than that she is mechanically sound and starts instantly. I need to seal the cab and find a turret hatch.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Dude, that is awesome! I've wanted one for a long time. So what did you actually pay for it? It isn't against the rules to say, but I understand if you just don't want to disclose that info.

gerktron01

The truck was $11,000, after taxes title and fees it ended up at $13,100. It cost me around $550 in fuel for the trip back. It was item #558810 on the IronPlanet site.

Last edited:

jjb

Welcome to the HEMTT club. These trucks definitely turn lots of heads. Took mine to the local diner for breakfast this past weekend :)

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another HEMTT owner! Huzza! A few questions..

-What was your average cruising speed and mpg?
-How'd she handle on the highway?
-How loud was the cab?

tim292stro

I have for so long wanted a HEMTT - $13K is nothing!!! Especially since it drove home under its own power. [thumbzup]

As time has gone on I have focused in on wanting a PLS with a material handling crane (M1074). I have to be very patient to find one of those getting out...

JDToumanian

Great truck! I'm waiting on the EUC for mine, and then I'll be making a similar journey from Ft. Polk, LA to Southern California. What kind of miles per gallon did you average? How long did your EUC take (if it was your first)?

Regards,
Jon

jjb

Great truck! I'm waiting on the EUC for mine, and then I'll be making a similar journey from Ft. Polk, LA to Southern California. What kind of miles per gallon did you average? How long did your EUC take (if it was your first)?

Regards,
Jon
When I won mine it was my first euc and it took about 6 weeks.

As for mpg you don't buy one of these with fuel economy in mind.8)

As arough estimate im getting between 3 and 4

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
Once in a blue moon, we have no idea why a M977 will come through as Demil code A which does not require an EUC this truck was one of the lucky ones...

RDUKW

When I won mine it was my first euc and it took about 6 weeks.

As for mpg you don't buy one of these with fuel economy in mind.8)

As arough estimate im getting between 3 and 4
3-4mpg man yours is getting then mine does. My A2 doesn’t get much over 2 maybe 3 if I drive very gentle. Of coarse the problem may be with my heavy foot:-D

JDToumanian

As for mpg you don't buy one of these with fuel economy in mind.:cool:
Yeah, I accept that, but I'm curious if I'm going to spend $1000 on fuel, or $2000. roflWith fuel economy so low, even a little improvement makes a huge difference!

JDToumanian

My A2 doesn’t get much over 2 maybe 3 if I drive very gentle.
So your A2 has the DDEC IV electronics? Is there a screen for it in the cab or do you have to plug it in to a computer? I think I'd dial it down if it were mine, or at least check... Maybe it's jacked up sky high. We certainly don't need 500 hp running down the highway empty, and it might improve your fuel economy. The 2 mpg rating is for GCWR (100,000 lbs) on mixed terrain. I'm certainly hoping for marked improvement at 1/2 that weight cruising on the freeway.

Your truck also has the 6-speed trans? How do you like it? Have you driven a 4-speed to compare? I assume the transmission is electronic too, and interfaces with the DDEC computer? It has crossed my mind that if anything happens to the 4-speed in my truck, I'd put in a 6-speed. But being electronic vs. mechanical, I don't know if it would work.

Jon

Last edited:

gerktron01

@fuzzytoaster -

1. I tried to keep her at 60mph the entire trip. that was just below red line. Going down the hills I did manage 65 but that was coasting. After rough calculations I got ~4 mpg.
2. Going down the highway was great. She wanted to track nice and straight the whole time. Steering in cities was the most challenging part.
3. The cab wasn't too loud. The deuce straight piped is much louder than this truck. The loudest thing so far is the faulty air switch. 75 psi hissing is quite annoying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks