• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

so, I was working on the deuce today.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I decided to get off my lazy butt and start doing a couple of things I want to get done on the deuce before it turns cold out.

I started off by putting on the cable operated drain valves I got a while ago. While I can reach the valves without crawling under the truck, it is a PITA having to hug the spare to do it. I have gotta say though, these valves are really sweet, I picked up a set of 5 from e-pay a little while ago to use on the truck , I also replaced the standard drain valve on my shop air compressor with a cable valve so I don't need to get on the floor to drain that tank any longer either. I'll have one for the new "super compressor" I'm putting together and one spare for future use.

After that I moved on the my salvage yard heater install. I finally picked up a couple of new valves from NAPA the other day to replace the ones already in the water jacket. Since I had the heater box already mounted, I took the heater core to a radiator shop and had it cleaned and tested so I have no worries about it leaking on me. Then I finished up the wiring of the blower, I replaced the original wire wound resistor with a better power resistor I bought from E-pay. It's got a nice aluminum heat sink, plus I mounted it on the firewall in the engine compartment rather than in the cab like the one was when I pulled it from the salvage yard. Installed another breaker for the heater and wired up the switch. I'm a firm believer in overkill, so I got a double pole switch to use for the heater and wired the contacts in series for both the high speed and low speed sides so they extinguish the arc much better than a single contact. Then I put a couple of new push/pull cables in that I also got from the friendly folks at NAPA for the diverter box and air inlet. All that's left to do is track down some duct hose. I can buy it from McMaster Carr, but they want you to buy 25' coils of it, since I only need a few feet of each 3" and 4" I'm looking for other sources.

Nothing really exciting, but it's the small improvements that help to make it into the truck I want.

Attachments

runk

question

Anyone know why the inlet to the fan doesn't match up with the scoop inlet in the side panel (which I've only seen on dueces with the heaters) ?

Jeff

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg, that's why I put it in the engine compartment, I have to be able to keep the engine warn for those cold winter mornings :razz:

runk, I'm thinking it's offset so you can have a small section of duct hose between the two and still be able to let the side panel down for inspection and filter changes. If they were lined up, the short straight piece of hose wouldn't allow the door to lie down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks