• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So my truck is dead- thinking of building a CUCV

Chief_919

My 94 Chevy 1500 with the 6.5 lost the transmission, and at 280,000 I don't really want to dump much more money into it.

I have a CJ7 that can be my daily driver, and am seriously thinking of taking on building an M1028 as a project for when I need a truck. I have a chance to buy a runner for $2500, just needs batteries.

The 6.5 in my truck is a fresh 2006 AM General built one with only 30k on it, so I will keep it, swap it into the configuration for a 1028 and eventually replace the 6.2 with it.

Eventually I would like to have it as a 1028 with a turbo 6.5, 700R4 built for towing, and upgrade to bucket seats from a 1010 and a few other items. I will keep it stock looking, but try to build it for more power/reliability.

I will likely make it 12v, but I would actually like to go dual- have a 12v and 24v (one alternator) system. I like 12v for the engine for ease of getting parts on the road if need be, but an auxillary 24V system for slaving other military stuff.

What do you guys think?

badassissimo

I think 24v if you tow. Never know when you need the winch that power. As far as parts, some people on here may already know me from a few threads that I've been searching part by part for months. I find one and need another it seems. If you keep backup parts (There are good deals on SS and other classifieds), then you'll be fine. I wouldn't say you'd have to much more advantage getting the parts at a store without notice if you already have them at a good discounted price. Not sure what your budget is though it seems you would have it for what I'm suggesting. It may only be apparent after you've totalled expenses and realized the consequences of either action. I'm actually going to buy a set of backup alternators for the occassion once I get the moneys again. That's my 2 cents..

Chief_919

Actually powering a winch is one reason I am looking at a 12v conversion- I have a 12v Ramsey 10k just sitting here, may as well put it to use.

If I just run it off one battery I don't have as much reserve to power it, and then I have an unbalanced set of batteries. If I have a 12v system in place, I have two batteries powering the 12v winch.

As for cost- I have the starter and a backup off my 6.5 truck, and they are the same, so a 12v conversion would be no cost, and I would have a spare starter. I can sell the 24v starter and isolated ground alternator and buy a 24v alternator and use that to charge 2 other 12v batteries in series for a 24v side that will slave start trucks and run my ready welder.

BIG_RED

So long as the engine is running, the 2 alternators on the stock cucv set up charge each battery independently. Even if you run a winch on only one of them, just let the truck run and it'll keep both charged (or not take too long to fill the low one back up). Personally - I like hydraulic winches that run off the PS pump. But I agree, if I already had an electric sitting around, I'd use that too.