• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

so what does X mean?

jwaller

aight since there was a C thread in the deuce section it got me to thinking what does the X in XM818 mean?

at first I thought it meant winch. but not so as I've seen some xm's with and without winch. so anybody have any ideas?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
X means experimental model... Before the M-1 tank was the M-1 tank, it was the XM-1.. When an item gets adopted, it "looses" the X designation

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
X indicates that it has not yet been type classified by the Ordnance Committee. T designates experimental in vehicles. X in aircraft is experimental. Hence, the T41 experimental tank became the M41, while the XP-51 Mustang became the P-51 (later F-51) fighter.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before adoption of the "X" prefix before a model number, such as "XM-1", the Army used the "T" prefix, as in T-1. T for Test. The Army dropped it around the late 1950s, perhaps a little earlier.

comdiver

Interesting! In your XM818 are the data plates "normal"? I would like to see a photo of your data plates and any one else who has a "X" model. I am really interested in the XM381 4x4 two ton.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps the date of manufacture will provide a hint.

The XM757 8x8 truck tractor and the XM791 van body remained "X" until they were retired. The manuals even labeled them "X". The only 8x8 in the series that was an "M" was the M656 cargo version.

acetomatoco

Rather than thinking x for experimental.... think X as being pre standard...the M211 and M135 were rushed into production before being standardized hence the X showing up in the Model... very few minute changes may have crept in before the Ordnance forks had enough data from Aberdeen and elsewhere to conclude that they were far enough along to be standard...
ACE