• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins

DeMilitarized

Hey guys, I have M929a2 that needs an in-frame (no compression in #4). I would really like to give it a little more power without turning up the pump. My ideas so far would be marine injectors and pistons, change timing, TMG air filter, and maybe a bigger turbo and inter cooler. Anyone have an idea how much power this will produce. My goal is to have enough power so it isn’t sluggish and yet the transmission and drivetrain will last. I won’t be using the truck constantly but when I use it, it will be worked.
I have a s366 I just took off my 8.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember the engine in yours has a thin deck block and even in stock configuration in a high cyclic Duty application, trash trucks, the blocks liked to crack.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, I have M929a2 that needs an in-frame (no compression in #4). I would really like to give it a little more power without turning up the pump. My ideas so far would be marine injectors and pistons, change timing, TMG air filter, and maybe a bigger turbo and inter cooler. Anyone have an idea how much power this will produce. My goal is to have enough power so it isn’t sluggish and yet the transmission and drivetrain will last. I won’t be using the truck constantly but when I use it, it will be worked.
Check stuff in the overhead before you condemning it to overhaul. Valve seats liked to go away. They are also a flat tappet engine. The head of the tappet and cam lobe likes to go away causing the valve to not open. Or, you COULD have a tight valve

Farm trucker

This week I am going to pull the head on the truck and will be taking it to the machine shop. From looking into the cylinder with a bore scope I can see a big divot in the liner. I bought the truck with the intention of rebuilding the engine and wanted to see if anyone had experience with adding more power. If the bottom end is good, I will leave it alone unless I go marine pistons.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Attempted to today, but seems the 8mm plug is seized on the injector pump to the point it just stripped out. Time to break out the cutting torch...

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valve guides can go away and put a divot in the liner, but, it isn't in the ring travel and can be run safely. If this is your issue, and you aren't working the snot out of it/running it hard daily, I can be repaired with just a head repair. I did a hay squeezer once or twice that had a wallowed out guide. Put a head on it, no liner, and sent it on it's way. Saw it a few times in later years and the owner said he never did anything else down the middle, just fuel system related.

Farm trucker

Well it has been a little while since I posted. Got the head off and cylinder number 4 liner out. Turns out the block was indeed cracked, 4 cracks in between each liner except the back one. (Found that the original problem was it ate a valve seat.) Now I am off to look for an engine block that is the newer style, or a new core engine. Still contemplating more power, but not sure yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks