• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soap from bio byproducts

SuperJoe

does the lye from the bio process stay in the soap? ive heard that lye is very caustic, as to the piont will dissolve bone. does that have any affect long term in using your soap?i would like to try some but alas i live far in mesa az

alphadeltaromeo

The lye changes during the chemical reaction in the process. It is no longer lye as you know it. The longer the bars set, the longer they will harden...quite accurate. We've made soap and it's wonderful. After using bars of home made lye soap, the other stuff is garbage :)

That's why I always smell so nice :|

wdbtchr

You may not need to add more lye, just try using a little less water to disolve your lye. My brother and I still make homemade lye soap since the 60s. We've always used animal fat, beef and pork. Beef makes a harder soap, pork softer, we try to use 50/50. Using less water initally will make a dryier soap and you won't have to age it as long to get hard. By the way, unless you really get crazy with the lye there will be no lye to leach out, it's eliminated in the chemical reaction of making soap. If I ever make bioiesel I intend to try it with the glycern.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
alphadeltaromeo said:
Have Bjorn send you some...he has...well...a "Y2K" supply of it :lol:
Hey Andy, if you are talking about my glycerine supply, it's all but gone, I use it as a fire starter a little at a time.
Nowadays I try to use the veggie oil just by filtering it and only prepare biodiesel from the really "bad" WVO, so not much glycerine any longer.....
maybe in a couple of weeks....

wdbtchr

Even if he had some Bjorn is a might to far away. I'm thinkin' this summer I might whip up a batch just to try the glycerine for degreaser. I have about 75 gallons of filtered waste motor oil right now so I really don't need the biodiesel, but I have a tractor engine I need to clean up for rebuild.

kipman

My wife has made soap many times, all you need is a fat and lye, add the good smelling stuff and the soap you get is better than you can buy. We use drain cleaner lye and a lot of different fats, just search the web it is worth the effort.