• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft top Deuce

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I went up to the E-bay (soft top) deuce and got the brakes working. The master cylinder was dry. I filled it with dot 5 and bled the air pack and bada-bing, bada-boom,the brakes work! [thumbzup] So I warmed up the engine and took it for a quick spin down the road. It runs great. It drives smooth down the road (no shakes or funny stuff noticed), all gauges looked good. Couldn't hear anything odd.(loud with no top or ear plugs! I didn't push it but I did see 55 mph on the speedo :shock: (I was so excited I didn't even notice the tach! I plan to register and insure it tomorrow and then drive it home thursday or friday depending on the weather! :driver:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drive home

I went up on Thursday afternoon with my wife to drive the eBay deuce home.(about 45-50 miles) I gave it a quick check over and warmed it up a few minutes while it was warming up I put the plates on it(zip ties) and adjusted the seat . It was hot and humid out. About 8 miles to interstate 81 and no problems. I got on the highway and found I could run at any speed up to 65 mph(way to high on the tach) This truck accelerates hard and will "over-rev" effortlessly! I found I liked 2500 rpm at 55 mph. I tried on every steep grade to accelerate (just to see) and found on any grade at 55 I could gain speed (over-rev) easily! I'm really impressed with the power of this truck compared to the GL truck I just got. (the gl truck will barely pull 2400 rpm in any situation) Also these speeds were confirmed by my wife following me. I made it home just fine but, I did smell some gear oil at the end of the trip. There was a bit of oil dripping from the bottom of the bell housing when I parked it at home.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dog, when you have a chance review your TMs. There is a no load adjustment for over revving on the injection pump. Not that big a deal unless you get carried away. Also, use the search function and search for power bleeders. There is a thread showing a neat power bleeder you can build for not too much money.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you should install a pryo and check your EGT's. Check the data plate on the engine, could have a LDS motor in it.
Dennis

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I did a search on LDS-465-1-A. Apparently the reason I feel a night and day difference is this thing has a higher HP motor(175) than the hard top(130)! Sweet! :) I love more power! :jumpin:

Right on the money :!: Stretch

derby

Look's like you were relly burning it up! is that smoke comming from your driver side tire in the first pic? :) look's like a great truck!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
That $3500 deuce is getting better by the minute. Shoulda bought it myself.
Sorry. I only paid $2502.00 !!! :)

And yeah, When I took off, the front wheels were engaged and I kept smokin' the tires!!! rofl

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, does anyone have a decent soft top. I'm thinking I probably need one! I'm not in any hurry to dump serious $$ on this thing yet. Right now, I'm thinking anything is better than the blue tarp I have on it now!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And don't forget it's got a winch!!! I used it yesterday, to pull a huge oak tree that fell over into the lake. I had to reposition twice when the winch would drag the truck forward with the brakes on(I was only 15' from a 30' cliff!) Sorry no pics Also , where can I get shear pins for the winch?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone bow to the great knowledge of Stretch! :) Feeling pretty modest about the LDS thing.

Dennis

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks