• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Top Paint

snipermed

Now that I am leaning towards painting my tan soft top, what is a good product to use to paint a soft top. (looking to paint it black) Is there a certain technique or process that needs to be done in order to paint a soft top. Has anyone painted a soft top who has had success in doing so, or have pics of a painted soft top. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

sed6

In the Behr paint thread there's a member who painted his soft top about two years ago and he reports it stuck well and still looks good. Long thread so I don't have a link but it's in there.

dilligaf13

I've used Krylon desert tan, from a rattle can, a few years ago and it worked well. Just used OD green Behr, a couple weeks ago, and it seems to be working well too. The soft tops are fairly good at absorbing and holding paint. I'll try to get pics later

Last edited:

goldneagle

I would recommend Krylon FUSION paint. It is made to paint plastic. It worked great for me on several projects including my patch on the cargo cover.

m109a2

Hey snipermed Welcome from lake Charles La.I too have used krylon fusion for plastic and worked well on quite a few projects,I am looking at a can right now and it contains ketones,propane,toluene,butane,alphatic hydrocarbons and xylene.This stuff has to be the holy grail for paint sniffers like on the show cops LOL.But it does have solvents to soften the material to bond and has a gloss to it I hate shinny things.To combat this prepare the surface well shoot the fusion lightly let it get almost dry and another light coat but cover all.Let it get tacky spray lightly with rust-oleum yes it does come in non relective black. and another light coat.I have painted my tackle boxes coolers and a lot more.Bye the way what part or the show me state do you hail from my wife is from K.C.

Amer-team

I have used the Gillespie paint to do some touch up on the tan Cargo cover. Misted it in with a few coats to cover up some rust spots that would not come out. While working in an upholstery shop in my youth, we used a paint that was specifically formulated for painting and changing the color of upholstery. Have used the Krylon fusion for other projects and it seems to work okay. Had to use Bleche White and a scrub brush to really clean the top before any painting was done.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I found this sticks to everything good
You try it. We don't paint any roof black here. too hot.
try this on something ...........
$2.57 a can when on sale and that is shipped to the house.

rcwm.jpg

snipermed

I don't know where to look or where to buy an aftermarket top for the military hummer. Do you have any suggestions that could steer me in the right direction?