• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft top Removal and Installation

FreightTrain

Banned
Ok,what is the correct way to remove and install a Vinyl soft top?I know i have to be doing it wrong since it seems way too hard.I have been just undoing the rubber shock cords from behind the cab,Then Lift the rear a little at a time going back and forth til I can get it to clear the sides,then slide the front piece out one side.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats how you do it. Are you having problems? Sometimes the channels get pinched and they can be a real pain. IIRC a 1/4" dowel pounded through the channel will take out some dings.

FrankUSMC

A Marine friend here says they would also rub the canvas part that slides into the channel with soap. I tried it with a top that I could not get to go in, it work.
This guy joined the Marines in June of 1941 and spent over 30 years in mainly MT. He gives me advice all the time from the old school.
One of the few, Frank

FreightTrain

Banned
Thanks guys.This problem is pretty much why I have a green truck with a Tan top.Took so much pulling I pulled the threads out the front.But I still used it though it was missing a small peice of the J channel plastic(DUCT TAPE!!!!Gotta love it).That was until someone decided they wanted to put it over their weed field or make a tent out of it and it mysteriously left my back yard.I'll have to finally get pictures today and post them.Looks kinda good.I call it my 7 ton convertable since it has a the looks of a soft top Camaro with the mis matched top just in a Much larger and Much less aerodynamic,and VERY much so less speedy vehicle.....

FreightTrain

Banned
nah,I like a standard top since I only use it when it is cold or wet.Pretty much just to keep the interior dry.During the hot sunny summer I like a full open top.I have even been known to drive down the highway with the windshield down.Not advisable durring June Bug season though.....Get some interesting looks with no top or windshield but bugs are hell....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The camo paint was Gillespie, not sure about the white, had some sitting on the shelf, probably latex based.
Yes it is cooler to the touch on the inside and helps keep it comfy on a sunny day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks