• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Top/Windshield/Side Window Water Leaks, Any Good Cures?

houdel

I love driving my Deuce - except in the rain, my cab leaks like a sieve. I think I'd stay dryer in the rain with the top off and windshield folded down!

I have all the usual gaps between the windshields and windshield frame, and the side windows and window frames. I plan on installing new rubber seals around the windshields and side windows, but are there any other hot tips to get a better seal around the glass (other than stuffing shop towels in the gaps?

Then there is the soft top. As far as I can tell, the top itself doesn't leak and it sheds water, but I get a fine mist of water coming in under the edges of the top and around the rear window. Any good hints to get a better seal around the soft top?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Soft Top/Windshield/Side Window Water Leaks, Any Good Cu

If its a vinyl cab top, there is a flap at the rear. If you leave this flap up on the top lip of the back of the cab, it negates the water blowing up from the back. I don't mind the water that much so I just pop rags in place. You can also pack a roll of green duct tape on trips if you suspect rain coming and seal the windshields from the outside. Don't leave it there for days or you will have a problem getting the adhesive off. There is a product we used to use in the swimming pool industry to fill gaps before caullk. It'l like round closed cell foam in different diameters.. IIRC it was called backer bar. Smaller stuff like this can also be wedged around the window. Other than that, I dunno.

Knucklehead

RE: Soft Top/Windshield/Side Window Water Leaks, Any Good Cu

Lee, I have a good trick, to seal the windshields that works if you still want to open the windshields. You will need acetone, black RTV and petroleum jelly. Open the WS and clean the rubbers and outer WS frame with the acetone.Brush a VERY THIN coat of PJ on the inner WS frame where the rubbers make contact and out about a half inch. Do not get PJ on the rubber. Latch the WS and apply a thin bead of RTV along the rubber. Wet your finger and blend the RTV out onto the outer WS frame and let it dry.I have done this in several truckas and it has worked very well. You can also fill the gaps at the top hinge. Let the RTV cure before opening. The Knuclehead.

houdel

Knucklehead - Sounds like a great idea, a formed in place gasket. I wonder if silicone plumber's grease work work in place of the PJ, nothing seems to stick to the silicone grease. I use it for anything that ABSOLUTELY has to come apart again. Too bad they don't make OD RTV though! Love that acetone, use it for cleaning most everything. Try not to sniff too much of it though. There is actually one other solvent that works better than acetone, I'd have to dig around the garage to find a can of it. Might be MEK but I'm not positive.