• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solar Battery Tending

Aernan

I am looking for a solar powered battery tender to keep my batteries topped up. Another member mentioned there are 24V solar panels (products) for keeping your batteries topped up.

When I did my initial search I was able to find a company called PulseTech who makes some products. Are there others?

Last edited:

Givinup

I'm no expert, but most home solar panels will output their nominal voltage above 24v (which is what you want). I think if you are buying panels from a company that 'specializes' in something that is normal by many, you'll be overpaying.

I also believe you can wire them 2(or more) in a series, to get your 24v.

Ill know more when I get to this point in my build, as I'll be doing a 24v system. But I'm a few months out before digging in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

coachgeo

I'm no expert, but most home solar panels will output their nominal voltage above 24v (which is what you want). I think if you are buying panels from a company that 'specializes' in something that is normal by many, you'll be overpaying.

I also believe you can wire them 2(or more) in a series, to get your 24v.

Ill know more when I get to this point in my build, as I'll be doing a 24v system. But I'm a few months out before digging in. ...
Pulse tech is FAR MORE than just a solar panel charger. They are a whole different game Givinup. You might want to search a little, think about it then update your post accordingly since your information in this case if way off.

HINT..... check why there is a PULSE in their biz name.

Aernan

Pulse tech is FAR MORE than just a solar panel charger. They are a whole different game Givinup. You might want to search a little, think about it then update your post accordingly since your information in this case if way off.

Have you used their products? Can you help me find the right one? They make a pile of them and I can't figure out why some are more expensive.

Givinup

OP asked about 24v solar panels, not a charger. If he meant solar charging, then my post is invalid. But he asked if there are 24volt solar panels out there, of which there are several.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
search term, "solargizer".

FloridaAKM

My first Deuce came with a solarizer on it from WRAFB, never any battery problems till a switch got left on. A buddy bought 12 units off a dealer & sold them to friends @ $30.00 each NIB, that sure beats $279.00 anyday! I installed them on the other trucks I have for worry free starting in the small fleet.

coachgeo

OP asked about 24v solar panels, not a charger. If he meant solar charging, then my post is invalid. But he asked if there are 24volt solar panels out there, of which there are several.
Looks like one of us missread it. OP's post seems to point specifically to maintaining trucks batteries.

Since Pulsetech was mentioned by name in the opening post. the points of solar panels alone for battery charge holding compared to a Pulsetech like product is an apples to oranges comparison. Your post lacked offering that info and may leave future readers not as well informed. Thus the suggestion to update your post. PulseTech product is not a charger and not a simple charge maintainer either. There is a good bit more tech involved.

You do bring up indirectly a good point though..... Would make ton of since to use something like technology in Pulse tech to increase life of batteries used in larger solar banks. Would Just makes since to use pulse type setup cause all the batteries would last longer and that is where the biggest expense and unwanted expendibility is. Maybe the manufactures feel the added expense would turn buyers off??

Aernan

Looks like one of us missread it. OP's post seems to point specifically to maintaining trucks batteries.

Since Pulsetech was mentioned by name in the opening post. the points of solar panels alone for battery charge holding compared to a Pulsetech like product is an apples to oranges comparison. Your post lacked offering that info and may leave future readers not as well informed. Thus the suggestion to update your post. PulseTech product is not a charger and not a simple charge maintainer either. There is a good bit more tech involved.

You do bring up indirectly a good point though..... Would make ton of since to use something like technology in Pulse tech to increase life of batteries used in larger solar banks. Would Just makes since to use pulse type setup cause all the batteries would last longer and that is where the biggest expense and unwanted expendibility is. Maybe the manufactures feel the added expense would turn buyers off??
I'm a big fan of the pulse technology. I have been using it for years in a CTEK charger. I suspect that it's not widespread due to patents. In a large battery backed solar setup it would certainly help extend the batteries lifespan if lead acid is used. From what the hawker rep tells me the pulse tech has marginal gains. He said it's really all about making sure your batteries get charged on a regular basis and don't sit for long periods draining themselves down.

Socommfg

We sold over 250 of the 24vdc Solargizers. Sunny day the would go to 32.5 volts no load. Always kept our batteries full charged.

Looking for more...

Last edited:

Givinup

I think the coat of the solution you are seeking to keep your batteries topped off depends on your diy electric capability. Pulse tech looks like they have a solid all in one system, as do the solargizer.

You can put the same components together in a diy fashion, although for just the car Batts I'd say go with an all in one system, the potential savings wouldn't justify the diy route imo.

I'd suggest diy charging solutions for larger house battery or off grid battery bank solutions. Based on what I've found there are plenty of diy guides for much greater cost savings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks