• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solargizer Placement

aboonski

Over a year ago I bought a Solargizer from an Ebay seller for $80.00 and just got around to installing it on my Deuce. I had tried to find the right place to attach it to but the ideal location didn't occur to me until I installed my convoy lights - also bought over a year ago. The great part about this installation is that you can rotate the Solargizer panel to catch the complete arc of the sun where ever you decide to park - also, the unit can be moved to accomodate the cargo cover if and when it ever gets deployed! I made a bracket the size of the Solargizer and used existing mounting point on the convoy light platform and only had to drill two additional holes in the convoy light disk to ensure a solid mount for the solar panel. I still have to cut the excess off of the screws that I used which are stainless steel. If you have any questions about this application, send me an email and I'll provide additional details accordingly. Alan R. Broadbent abroadbent@bellsouth.net

Attachments

acetomatoco

I just velcrowed mine to the the inside of the windsheld frame and point the truck south...they allwork fine... My cucv has its on the right front corner of the hood....and so forth and so on..... From the pix... I would have velcrowed it to the top of one of the convoy lights...no holes, no bolts no nuffin... ACE

jatonka

Yeah, I put mine where the army does, right on the cowl, outside,ahead of the windshield. Ran the wires right where they did, down to the batteries. Great. But, It snows in Upstate NY, no charge all winter, just when I need it. I'll move mine up to the convoy light on the wrecker in the spring. THANK YOU for a great idea. JT out.

aboonski

Good Question! As you probably already know, the Solargizer comes with a generous amount of wire with the kit. I threaded the wires down the mast through the clamps after cutting them first. I reattached the wires with quick disconnect solderless connectors near the control portion of the unit and wound the surplus wire into a bundle and used small wire ties to keep things organized. If and when I raise the lights, I can remove the cable ties and pay out as much wire as I need for the mast extension. Eventually I will find a two-conductor coiled wire setup from another application and will splice that into the picture - for now, this works great! I live in Florida so we get plenty of sunshine year round. I leave the solar panel in a position where it receives a full compliment of the sun as it rises in the east and sets in the west - one of the benefits of this particular application.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Solargizer Placement

jatonka said:
Yeah, I put mine where the army does, right on the cowl, outside,ahead of the windshield. Ran the wires right where they did, down to the batteries. Great. But, It snows in Upstate NY, no charge all winter, just when I need it. I'll move mine up to the convoy light on the wrecker in the spring. THANK YOU for a great idea. JT out.
I got two of them from a parts M923 a couple of years ago and they were mounted on the cowling in front of the windshield like John stated. Didn't keep them, so don't ask. The m923 has four batteries, as you know and the wires were run behind the dash down to the floor along the passenger side and into the battery compartment under the companion seat where the little control boxes/electronics were mounted.

BTW, they don't charge the batteries they only prevent sulfates from building up on the plates in batteries that aren't used often.

It probably isn't important that they see the sun continously anyway, since they don't at night no matter where they are installed.
Solid looking installation, though.

m139h2otruck

I picked up a Solargizer on E-bay for the water truck and installed it in the vertical on the pipe post we fabbed for the beacon light out of the machine gun mount on the side of the right door. I left the wiring full length and mounted the little box on velcro tape inside the battery box (but on the truck frame) so if we ever wanted to change it we could. Seems to work OK, but the batteries (Wal-Mart specials) were nearly new last fall. Gas engine cranks much easier than any diesel so batteries are less of a problem. Just wanted the Solargizer so when the truck sets for a month or two the current stays up and the cells stay clean.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks