• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solutions to grease the steering U Joints and leaf spring bushings

Reworked LMTV

I have been trying for some time to get a grease gun on those U joints in the steering. It is so tight in there, I could not get to the fitting, which was a 90 degree zerk. I ended up getting some 30 degree angle grease fitting from Fastenal. Tractor Supply did not have what I needed. I wanted 45 degrees, but Fastenal was out of them. The 45s are cheaper too. Much easier to grease those puppies now.

Anyone replace these U joints due to noise? Meritor steering U joints looked very expensive online. In the $250 range. People have said that the U joints rarely fail, if greased regularly. My observation in replacing the drive line U joints was that the bearings themselves were fine, BUT the plastic cups / seal were brittle

Fastenal:
30 degree Part number 58755
45 degree Part number 58788

Also, I saw a video of a guy working on a semi truck, demonstrating how to grease leaf spring bushings. Many on here have found, like me, they won't take grease. Some say the zerk is bad. This guy showed putting a bottle jack between the frame and the top leaf spring to take the tension off the spring to allow the grease to flow into the bushing. Pretty cool I thought.

Attachments

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just replaced the u-joints on my front shaft. I think they were $45 each for Neapco 4-0279 joints, and I think they were even made in the USA!

Do you happen to have a link to the video? If you watched it on YouTube recently you can go to the "History" section (I think it's on the left side).

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been trying for some time to get a grease gun on those U joints in the steering. It is so tight in there, I could not get to the fitting, which was a 90 degree zerk. I ended up getting some 30 degree angle grease fitting from Fastenal. Tractor Supply did not have what I needed. I wanted 45 degrees, but Fastenal was out of them. The 45s are cheaper too. Much easier to grease those puppies now.
Fastenal:
30 degree Part number 58755
45 degree Part number 58788
Can you clarify a couple things?

The 30 degree part has a long extension on it? Was that intentional? Did you just use that temporarily to grease it, then reinstall the original short fitting? The 45 degree part number you list is a normal-length fitting.

These 1/8" NPT fittings fit? All the rest of the grease fittings on the truck are metric.

Reworked LMTV

Can you clarify a couple things?

The 30 degree part has a long extension on it? Was that intentional? Did you just use that temporarily to grease it, then reinstall the original short fitting? The 45 degree part number you list is a normal-length fitting.

These 1/8" NPT fittings fit? All the rest of the grease fittings on the truck are metric.
Not intentional, it just worked. Permanent. Yes, they are 1/8 NPT.

Reworked LMTV

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks