• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SOLVED! More transmission/clutch problems

Blood_of_Tyrants

Okay, I changed the gear lube back to 80W/90) because I had put 90W/140 in it and it was much too thick) and drove the truck a few laps around the block.

The transmission is hard to get into gear and shifts poorly. It acts as though the clutch isn't fully disengaged, so I adjusted the clutch linkage to get about 1 1/2" of free pedal. Then I raised the pedal up as far as it would go to get just a bit more travel. No joy.

Am I missing something or is there more serious clutch problems such as worn fingers?

RE: HELP! More transmission/clutch problems

If your truck shifted good before adding the pto and then poorly after you need to add another shim or two in between the transmission and the pto the gear in the pto is pressing to hard on the gear in the tranamission .kenny

ida34

Do a search. Someone posted Napa numbers for the gaskets. Most of the time you just add a gasket or two to get clearance. There was also a great thread on setting the PTO backlash with is what you are doing by adding the shims.

any truck parts dealer maybe napa there are two bolt pattarns 6 or 8 bolt they come in diffrent thickness . you can add and sutract thick and thin shims till the teeth of the gears have proper back lash . maybe someone will remmember how many shims is a good place . kenny

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you give a look at the release bearing adj. TM9-2320361-20 3.25 inch from fig 16 to 17
You said it feels like a disingagement like thing. I might just give it a look see to start and maybe rule it out.
I did a couple of pto's one thick one thin gasket to start.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Well, it was a cas of not enough gear lash. A few gaskets from Napa (Fel Pro 55379 or Victor Reinz H26205) to give it some clearance and she shifts like new again!

Thanks Kenny!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's better to be too loose than too tight on your PTO shims. I always check the freeplay by hand but there is a exact procedure to do it with a dial indicator (I don't know what it is). I've added a bunch of PTOs on civilain trucks and after a while you just get a feel for it.

Jakob

Blood_of_Tyrants said:
The transmission is hard to get into gear and shifts poorly. It acts as though the clutch isn't fully disengaged, so I adjusted the clutch linkage to get about 1 1/2" of free pedal. Then I raised the pedal up as far as it would go to get just a bit more travel. No joy.

Am I missing something or is there more serious clutch problems such as worn fingers?
My truck "developed" this problem on it's long drive home. It was fine the first 350 or so miles, then it just happened and I have a winch truck and the problem sounds exactly what you described. It also occured after I hit some rather large bumps in the interstate, if not for the seat belt, I'd probably have hit my head.
Shifting got noticably more difficult, but not impossible. At low speeds and moderate throttle it performed ok. However, I noticed the problem with the clutch when I attempted to get back on the interstate. Anytime I gave more than about half throttle, the clutch slipped really bad, like it wasn't even engaged.
Could those bumps somehow have engaged something on my PTO or cause the same type of problem?

Blood_of_Tyrants

Jakob said:
My truck "developed" this problem on it's long drive home. It was fine the first 350 or so miles, then it just happened and I have a winch truck and the problem sounds exactly what you described. It also occured after I hit some rather large bumps in the interstate, if not for the seat belt, I'd probably have hit my head.
Shifting got noticeably more difficult, but not impossible. At low speeds and moderate throttle it performed ok. However, I noticed the problem with the clutch when I attempted to get back on the interstate. Anytime I gave more than about half throttle, the clutch slipped really bad, like it wasn't even engaged.
Could those bumps somehow have engaged something on my PTO or cause the same type of problem?
First, check for how much free pedal you have. You should have between 1" and 2" of pedal travel before you feel more than a few ounces of resistance. You can easily adjust it by removing the linkage arm and shortening it with the adjuster nut.

Second, I would check for oil leakage from the rear main bearing onto the clutch.

If neither of the two are evident then I would suspect the clutch plate has warped or the clutch plate liner has come loose.

Jakob

RE: Re: SOLVED! More transmission/clutch problems

Unfortunately, I think oil is leaking from the rear main. My clutch pedal free play is within spec... it's about 1.5" as it sits.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks