• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SOMS-B(V)2 Mobile Television Broadcast System

TheDrashStash

I just recently picked up something that I think you'll find interesting. I couldn't find anything online about this trailer so hopefully someone can tell me a thing or two about this KIMG0184.JPG
I picked this up off a guy in NC whose friend abandoned it at his house (drug problem), and he was just wanting to get rid of it. The only problem is that it's specifically made for a M1088 and no wrecker would touch it. Needless to say I got stupid deal on it.
Like the title of the post, this is a mobile TV broadcast system. Most of the equipment was gutted and the crew compartment was used for storage, but it still has a lot of old school VCRs, switcher boards, amps, and all kinds of junk. It also has a 50M (164ft) antenna mast, 2 40kw John Deere generators, and a 4 ton ECU.
Has anyone seen something like this before?

KIMG0221.JPG
1624145256566.jpg
23586.jpeg
I has 5 giant megaphones stored in containers. My buddy in the Airforce was familiar with these and said they call them "giant voices"
KIMG0222.JPG

KIMG0223.JPG
KIMG0220.JPG
KIMG0215.JPG
2 radiators on the roof along with the fuel tank...on the roof. It has an aux fuel pump with hose though
KIMG0214.JPG
antenna mast
KIMG0213.JPG
caster wheels on aluminum I beams stored on the roof. no idea why

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe those were made by Wolf Coach of Mass. I think they are still in business. They specialize in tv mobile units.

TheDrashStash

Taking pirate radio to the next level....

If that paint is latex, try some of the citrus based solvents and a pressure washer. CARC should resist those long enough to wash it off.
Thanks for the info! I went out and got some citrus stripper stuff, and while it did loosen up a bit, I would need a LOT of it. I think I'm just going to paint over it as it seems the most economical

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just recently picked up something that I think you'll find interesting. I couldn't find anything online about this trailer so hopefully someone can tell me a thing or two about this View attachment 837446
I picked this up off a guy in NC whose friend abandoned it at his house (drug problem), and he was just wanting to get rid of it. The only problem is that it's specifically made for a M1088 and no wrecker would touch it. Needless to say I got stupid deal on it.
Like the title of the post, this is a mobile TV broadcast system. Most of the equipment was gutted and the crew compartment was used for storage, but it still has a lot of old school VCRs, switcher boards, amps, and all kinds of junk. It also has a 50M (164ft) antenna mast, 2 40kw John Deere generators, and a 4 ton ECU.
Has anyone seen something like this before?

View attachment 837447
View attachment 837448
View attachment 837450
I has 5 giant megaphones stored in containers. My buddy in the Airforce was familiar with these and said they call them "giant voices"
View attachment 837451

View attachment 837452
View attachment 837453
View attachment 837454
2 radiators on the roof along with the fuel tank...on the roof. It has an aux fuel pump with hose though
View attachment 837455
antenna mast
View attachment 837456
caster wheels on aluminum I beams stored on the roof. no idea why
Now THAT is NEAT!!!
You can honestly say that nobody else in the group has one of those!

TheDrashStash

I tried filling the rooftop fuel tank just to have it dump out the bottom of the trailer. Turns out it's a collapsible fuel tank and its dry rotten. I'll have to figure out how to get a custom tank made KIMG0270.JPG

KIMG0271.JPG
The tank was also filled with open cell foam, I guess to baffle it, but it's all rotten and turned to mush

KIMG0272.JPG

Poccur

I know this trailer. I worked for the company that made the generators and power wiring. I did some work on it directly (but not much) but I was in the shop when it was being wired. I am familiar with the make before break system of the John Deere gens and the function of the coolant heaters.
If you need a manual feel free to DM me, I have it somewhere...might have a coffee stain on it...lol

TheDrashStash

I know this trailer. I worked for the company that made the generators and power wiring. I did some work on it directly (but not much) but I was in the shop when it was being wired. I am familiar with the make before break system of the John Deere gens and the function of the coolant heaters.
If you need a manual feel free to DM me, I have it somewhere...might have a coffee stain on it...lol
That's crazy that you've worked on these trailers, I'd imagine that only a handful of them were made. If I run into any issues I'll be sure to DM you about those TMs, once I try to get these engines started that is. I've yet to have a replacement fuel tank made to replace the old fabric one

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your neighbors must love you.... :D

Paint job looks good! What are your plans for it? Are you going to run some bootleg TV programming or strip it all out?

TheDrashStash

Your neighbors must love you.... :D

Paint job looks good! What are your plans for it? Are you going to run some bootleg TV programming or strip it all out?
Thanks! I'm sure by now most are used to all the crazy stuff I bring home, but apparently some people are making complaints to the code enforcement, but he says that I'm not breaking any rules so don't worry about it.
Not sure exactly what I want from it, I want to get the engines running so I can have a power plant if I put up any tent cities, and make it into a part camper in the crew compartment. I'm almost done gathering parts together so I can put up the 164ft mast and learning a little bit about radios along the way lol. All of the original equipment has been removed and I think what's in it now was from a collage/ university that had it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks