• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SORRY another question about 1400x20 tires.

junkyardog

should i run the 100 pounds of preasure it says on the tire or less.i will be carrying a 11 foot plow on front. also i have the hemett rims will they fit without changing the studs on the front hub. will i have enough stut sticking out to get a full nut. if not where can i get the correct stud. thanks

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Once you get all of that weight hanging on the front end, you will be able to better assess the contact pattern at different pressures. I think I would start out at 80 PSI and see what they look like. Running 100 PSI may reduce your traction in the snow if it causes the tire to crown significantly. Any truck shop should be able to get the longer studs for you. Just take an old one in there and tell them how much more you need. An unexperienced counter person may balk at the left hand threads, but they should be able to get them.

Speaking of weight on the front. What does an 11' plow weigh? You already have a lot of weight on that front end with the multifuel and the winch. 11' of plow may push you over the axle max GW. That can cause accelerated wear on axle components or even breakage if severely overweight. Just a thought....

junkyardog

i dont know what it weighs. i dred taking the winch off.i bought a five ton because i didnt think the duece could handle it.i had the blade on a chevy c70 4x4 and a oshkosh in the past.i would takethe front axle apat every 2 years and use marine grease when putting them back together.the plow is down 80 % of the time. i understand what you are saying.we do 15 to 20 mph down interstate 95. i hope yhe old girl can take it

supermechanic

I have an 11 foot funnel plow on mine.
With the winch in place, the plow will be about 7 feet infront of the axel, when fully angled.
This makes driveways and turn-a-rounds difficult at times.
Welcome to the world of Big Iron, if you don't intend to plow miles of roadway with it, it is serious overkill.
I have 12.00-22.5 tires and rims on the front of mine, takes the weight just fine.
Also, get the biggest cab heater you can find, mine is from a school bus, rated at 55,000 btu with 190 degree water. If it gets too hot in the cab, roll down the window a crack.
Get a defroster fan to mount to the cab roof, pointing at the windshield. The arctic heater kit may have enough to keep the windshield clear, but the one in my truck wasn't up to the job.
The air powered wipers are a bit wimpy also. I tried a different air motor(bigger), still have windshield cleaning problems.
Maybe next step is to get some 24v. wiper motors from John deere or Caterpillar.