• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sourcing a replacement for the cross body airline.

ParaStrike

Hi everyone,
I’ve been reading for the last few days about how to fix the cross body airline. Mine was plugged and rotted.
What solution did you use to get the line replaced?

ParaStrike

I purchased a length of 316 stainless steel 10 mm tubing and bent it to match the original. I also had to purchase some of the fittings that were toast. Every fitting I replaced was stainless as well. I wanted a permanent fix.
Thanks for the quick response!
I’m trying to source the fittings and tubing. Do you remember the type of fittings you used?

Did you use the existing male connectors?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fittings on the passenger side at the regulator were all corroded beyond any chance of salvage. I got the part numbers for each part, took measurements, and searched online for the parts in stainless. Most were quite easy to find, but I do remember that one fitting was very difficult to find. If I remember correctly, I found it from a company in Germany, but I don't remember exactly which fitting and where I got it from. The best source for parts that are original is Expedition Imports. They actually have a considerable number of parts in inventory that are not listed.

peakbagger

Long ago I posted a thread on the type of fittings needed. I used copper nickel tubing.
The fittings on the passenger side at the regulator were all corroded beyond any chance of salvage. I got the part numbers for each part, took measurements, and searched online for the parts in stainless. Most were quite easy to find, but I do remember that one fitting was very difficult to find. If I remember correctly, I found it from a company in Germany, but I don't remember exactly which fitting and where I got it from. The best source for parts that are original is Expedition Imports. They actually have a considerable number of parts in inventory that are not listed.

Copied from a prior edge

The air fittings in this system are bit of nightmare as they are mix of metric AN fittings and Metric straight threads. I picked up a metric pitch gauge and had a set of calipers so I got to learn how to identify the various types and sizes. Some of them appear to be cast aluminum and dont take any torque so you need to be careful to get a wrench on them to take the torque. There is not a lot of clearance in that area to get a crescent wrench in there. I have had bad experiences with the Chinese jumbo metric wrench sets being quite "sloppy" so I actually ordered up individual Craftsman large size wrenches that tend to have tighter tolerances. That really helped for taking the air system apart. I found crap in a couple of the check valves and in the air tanks and emptied them out. Do note that the SEE doesnt have air brakes but it does have an air brake system and that adds a lot of complexity to the system. I expect if someone wanted to they could simply the system.